• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Holy Word and Evil Outsiders

SidusLupus

First Post
So when an evil outsider gets hit by a holy word, they have to make a save with a penalty or be banished. The wording of the spell seems to indicate that if they get banished they still get hit by the status effects of holy word.

However, I think I remember reading here that if the outsider makes the save against banishment it is completely unaffected by the other hd dependent effects of a holy word. If I am remembering this correctly, can someone explain the logic behind it please?

Pyrex

First Post
By my reading banished outsiders are still affected by the status effects.

SRD said:
Holy Word
Area: Nongood creatures in a 40-ft.-radius spread centered on you
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None or Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

Any nongood creature within the area that hears the holy word suffers the following ill effects.

The effects are cumulative and concurrent. No saving throw is allowed against these effects.

Furthermore, if you are on your home plane when you cast this spell, nongood extraplanar creatures within the area are instantly banished back to their home planes. Creatures so banished cannot return for at least 24 hours. This effect takes place regardless of whether the creatures hear the holy word. The banishment effect allows a Will save (at a -4 penalty) to negate.

Emphasis mine.

Status effects occur first, then a Will save to negate the banishment.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
SidusLupus said:
However, I think I remember reading here that if the outsider makes the save against banishment it is completely unaffected by the other hd dependent effects of a holy word. If I am remembering this correctly, can someone explain the logic behind it please?

I think you're missing a crucial element of the situation you were reading.

Normally, a save will prevent the banishment, but the status effects still hit him.

But - what if the evil outsider has Mettle?

-Hyp.

SidusLupus

First Post
Ah Hypersmurf is correct, I forgot that part of the equation. The other mettle thread regarding acid orbs was looking suspiciously similar to what I was remembering.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads