HolyMan's AP for pbp Q&A session

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Hello EnWorlders :D

Well as my status has said for some time now I have taken to writing an Adventure Path specifically for online play by post. Now this isn't so grand as all the AP's you have seen out there as I have limited time/writing experience, and am just plain lazy j/k.

When I started I envisioned something that would help with the slowness of pbp during combat, would have less sub quest or adventure archs that tend to be nothing but XP filler or get lost as they are set up in module#1 and not brought back into play till module #3 (which could be a year or more real time and easily forgotten). It would be for the pbp player made by the pbp player, as most AP's are set for RL groups and need heavy adapting unless you have a group in it for the long haul.

Where am I at in the writing you ask?? Great question.

Let's see I have the over all plot arch (save a world). I have the links for each part of the different adventures (as I set them in module adventure form to help with the plot of each) as you play and continue on. This also gave me a what level each PC should be at at different times during the quest. I have mapped out the flow of the adventure and how it should go from beginning to end. But we all know nothing goes according to plan. I have plot hints, lead ins, an adventure locale that can be dropped into any world (starts in the dessert stays in the dessert throughout - well except for one part - but no spoiler).

That's great HM how many of this non-module adventures have you writin up??

Well another great question and the answer is... none. :p

And really that is why I am making this thread. I also envisioned an AP that was adaptable for any system out there. I would write up the NPCs (their motivations and goals), the history of the dessert peoples and a generic map of the locales to adventure in (doing now), and map out the plot and flow of the adventure path. I wanted to give the DMs the ability to custom encounters to the group they are running, and treasure too. Give them the ability to map up dungeons or villages and decide how long they want to play at a certain locale. Leave it in the hands of the group to decide on the play I just wanted to give them that push out the door, some guidelines, and let them make the game their own.

Now a question for all of you (fairs fair you know).

What do you think of an open system AP? Feasible?? Not something that can/should be done?

Please let me know what you think, this is a major part as I write things up and leave them open ended so to speak.

Thanks in advance.

HM

Walking Dad

First Post
Hey, HM. Looks like an interesting project. Some thoughts:

This also gave me a what level each PC should be at at different times during the quest.

I also envisioned an AP that was adaptable for any system out there.
Leveling is really slow in PbP and not every RPG uses levels to determine powers. They also tend to have different power advancement curves.

What is your solution?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Well I don't know every system at that but the DM running the game would. I have in mind quest goals (like I use in my games) for advancement. You know find the secret map - level up, save the princess - level up.

The DM should be able to tailor encounters based on the plot and what the NPC's are doing/wish to do to give the PC's a challenge. I like leaving this part open as DM's add subtract to encounters anyway. I know I do.

Since most systems use levels I am thinking of having Level list for the module - based on Pathfinder which is what I believe I will be playtesting with - and will let the GM of a crazy system like say, Palladium do the conversion math. Because I hate math.

And leveling is the hardest thing in pbp your right that's something I have been working on in alot of my games. That is why I am keeping the fluff done on this. The group playing will decide how much time/energy they wish themselves I will provide guidelines they will determine how they wish to play it. Straight and fast or laid back and take a couple years.

Thanks WD

HM

Walking Dad

First Post
But is much leveling really needed for a PbP AP?

I like the M&M approach for building a character you want to play and not a weaker version and hoping to play the character you envisioned later.

For level based RPGs with a less steep power curve than Pathfinder I think of True 20.

Remove ads