• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Homebrew] Poisons - MM versions and repricing

Kryx

Explorer
Hi!
I've created a spreadsheet with the goal of pricing poisons. I have included all the poisons from the Dungeon Master's Guide and any poison from monsters in the Monster Manual. I have also included some poisons from Pathfinder. In total I have 90 poisons that I have valued based on their type, DC, and effects.

Poison Spreadsheet

Basic poison cost breakdown: 0.5 [overall price adjuster] * (10 [DC] * 3 [DC modifier]) * 1.7 [injury] * 1 [onset] * 1 [frequence] * 1 [number of saves to cure] * 0.4 [HP] * 2.5 [1d4] = 26g

I would love to have some feedback on the specific values of the formula (see the formula page) or any poisons that you think are outliers.

Qualifier: Poisons are ambiguously defined in 5e. For the purposes of my game I choose to side with "poisons last a minute, but activate only on the first attack". Please do not debate these rules here. If you wish to allow poisons to last a full minute you could easily alter the universal price adjuster to be much higher. Rules Dispute: Only the basic poison specifies that it dries after a minute. They do not specify if they work on every attack. Tweet discussing the edge case and thread on the topic

This is great! A group I DM for just harvested from the poison gland of a young green dragon. I hadn't considered making it any more deadly or expensive than the normal poison in the PHB. Won't they be surprised when one of them laces a weapon with some of it and I have them roll an extra 12d6 damage. Thanks for all the work that went into this!

Last edited:

Kryx

Explorer
Well it is straight from the MM, I just did the pricing!

But you're welcome. I'm glad you find it useful. :)

Kryx

Explorer
Ingested poisons have a factor of 0.6 whereas Injury has 1.7, Contact has 1.8, and Inhaled has 1.

So it will cost less to purchase ingested poisons. Damage and save are up to you - they just change the price.

In general ingested poisons have a longer onset period.

Remove ads