• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Homebrew Rule Question: Attack for Utility Powers

arxmage

First Post
Is anyone, in any of their campaigns, allowing players to select Utility Powers in place of Daily/Encounter Attack Powers? Given that a player only gets 4 daily attack powers and 4 encounter attack powers at level 30 (compared with the 7 Utility Powers) it might be reasonable to consider Utility Powers "less powerful" than the attack powers - though I suppose they're just different.

At any rate... The question basically boils down to...would you allow characters to spend their Encounter Attack Powers to purchase an Encounter Utility Power instead? Ever? Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

zoroaster100

First Post
I would hesitate to allow that, at least until I've run 4e games through several entire campaigns of up to high level. Siloing attack and utility powers could be important for balance. Some of the utility powers might get overpowered if you could take more of them than the designers planned for.

Victoly

First Post
This probably belongs in the separate "House Rules" forum.

I might allow a character to take an encounter power in place of a daily if he only wanted to use it once per day...

Ahglock

First Post
If I were to do that I'd go further and create a points system. Encounter powers cost 1 point dailies 2 or 3 etc, change learned abilities into giving a increased point pool to draw from etc.

Dang, I want a mana system now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads