• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Homebrew Wolfborn Ranger

Alpha WOLF

First Post
Hello, I'm new to this site.
And, Admittedly, it has been roughly 8 years or so since I made a D&D character.

I am wanting to make a character that is a Wolfborn, but also a Ranger.
I would like for my character to be able to transform into a humanoid in order to use the bow.
I think it would not be unreasonable for my character to gain Scent, +4 Racial Bonus to Wilderness Lore, +2 stealth, +2 alertness in WOLF FORM

For fun, I also want to give him the flaw of a Drunkard. I.E. He enjoys getting drunk.
However, being drunk has negative effects. Such as -3 Dex & -2 Int when drunk, gains +1 Cha. for 1D 4 x 30min after drinking.

Would this combination be acceptable?

Oh, and as reference to my idea, I include the picture.

Attachments

• wolf2.jpg
    wolf2.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 3,556
Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
First, welcome to the boards.

What you have is a fun idea, with some language from previous editions still here, but what should be a viable concept in many games. Really, though, you need to talk to your DM about all of this -- every DM will have different thoughts, and all that matters is that's it's good (or not) at the table you play at -- with the goal that everyone in the game is having fun.

Welcome!

Alpha WOLF

First Post
Thank you for such a warm welcome, Kobold Stew!

Could you explain what you refer to as 'language from previous editions'?

Did I use any in my starting thread post?

Thank you.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Hi again.

To me, "+4 Racial Bonus to Wilderness Lore" doesn't make sense in 5e (perhaps "advantage on Intelligence ((Nature) rolls"?)
Also, Scent isn't a thing the way it was before -- again, it might be framed in terms of the ability of the Grimlock, "Keen Hearing and Smell" which gives advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing and smell.

Hope this helps.

Alpha WOLF

First Post
It does help.

I looked up the Grimlocks "Keen Hearing and Smell" ability and you are correct.
My character would fit more with that ability.

Thank you

Satyrn

First Post
So yeah, what kobold stew is saying is about all I can, too.

What you've proposed looks fine to me (with tweaks to fit 5e language if you're indeed playing this in 5e instead of 3rd or 4th edition) but your DM may think differently and may want to tweak it differently than I would.

Or he may even feel the concept fits the game at all.

And welcome back to D&D.

Alpha WOLF

First Post
It seems to me that a 5e creature of this kind would probably need to stay in one form for a while, due to a limit on how often they can switch forms per day. That limit could go up as they level.

Check this out, and consider modeling your race after the hengeyokai: https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Hengeyokai_(5e_Race)

Oh My Gosh.. 😀
Its a near PERFECT representation of how I envisioned my character!

Thankyou for the link, Doctorbadwolf!

Remove ads