• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Homosexuality in the Forgotten Realms

jhkim

Explorer
I haven't followed any of the FR books, and I recently heard that homosexuality was common in the Forgotten Realms.

Is this true? Does this actually show up in the game books, or is this just something from the novels? Just curious.

Nyaricus

First Post
jhkim said:
I haven't followed any of the FR books, and I recently heard that homosexuality was common in the Forgotten Realms.

Is this true? Does this actually show up in the game books, or is this just something from the novels? Just curious.
From where did you read/hear such a thing? Sources?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Nyaricus said:
From where did you read/hear such a thing? Sources?

RPGPundit. Of course, the source in question has been known to invent many things from wholecloth to win an argument (for example, there is supposedly, a credible study someplace that proves pipe-smokers live longer than non-smokers). Aside from Eleminster's trysts with Mystra, I'm not certain that I've seen overt references to sex or sexuality in any of the Realms products that I own.

Not sure about the Realms, but there's plenty of evidence about Gayhawk ... erm ... I mean Greyhawk. I'm actually a huge Greyhawk fan, btw. I'm just a sucker for bad puns. ;) Is Fagotten Realms pushing it? That was the cleaner version. :uhoh:

Anyway, I imagine that there would be a higher incidence among elven population, no matter what setting you consider.

Only a guess.

Last edited:

Well, dunno about whether it's actually common or not, but it does exist in the canon WotC setting (Ed Greenwood's FR as run for his home games is much more ... liberated then published material).

There is at least one city in the FRCS (Elversult it seems to be) where the female high constable is described as the 'consort' of the female ruler of the city.

NewJeffCT

First Post
jhkim said:

it's D&D - homosexuality can be the norm, if you so choose, or it can be non-existent, and it can be explained away as the will of the gods.

Not that there's anything wrong with either point of view.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I guess this isn't in the published stuff not only because of Wizards' dedication to make books that kids can use, but also because things like that are best decided within the gaming group, not in the published setting.

If you want your gameworld (whether it's Midnight, FR, Eberron, GH, your homebrew) to be open to such things, go ahead. If you want to have regular orgies in your world's cities that make Sodom look like a Fortress of Virtue, go right ahead. If you want to make all that happen off stage, never mentioning it in your games, it's fine.

Remove ads