• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hordes of the Abyss: Q&A

KL

First Post
Personally, the Abyss is so vast and there are so many possibilities you can do with it that you need more than one book to do it, I would have one book on the creatures of the Abyss, one book on the demon princes, and a third book on layers,magic, and other riff raffs.

heirodule

First Post
Demonweb map?

Is my memory failing, or is the map of the demonweb in FC1 nothing like the demonweb map in Q1, where the demonweb was an interlocked set of tunnels that looked like a cool geometric design.

Was that changed for a reason?

Ripzerai

Explorer
heirodule said:
Is my memory failing, or is the map of the demonweb in FC1 nothing like the demonweb map in Q1, where the demonweb was an interlocked set of tunnels that looked like a cool geometric design.

Was that changed for a reason?

It's a different part of the Demonweb, I think. This one has more in common with the Demonweb section detailed in Dungeon #84, though it's not the same as that map, either (though the ship, the yochlol tower, and Laveth are all from that adventure).

It seems likely that the Demonweb shifts and changes over time as well, as befits terrain in a plane of Chaos, subject to the whims of a chaotic goddess.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Yeah I mean why should a plane in the Abyss ALWAYS remain stable. :p Anyway I'm happy for changes. Just wish one of them was the death of the drow panethon. :p

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Agreed, that is cool. I can't wait to see how part 2 works out and possibly more info on individualizing half fiends and maybe even tielflings!

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Erik Mona said:
Melf is his real first name.

--Erik
I never would want to contradict the sage Iquander. So I'll just post a quote from the Gord the Rogue series. I don't know where those books fall in the canon.

Artifact of Evil p. 132 said:
"The stars guide you and the heavens watch over you," Venerable Halomew said in benediction. Then, smiling and clasping the gray elf's hand, he said, "Melf . . . good luck! Before you go, there is a question I must ask."

Melf was puzzled, but he liked the old cleric, and nodded to him. "You may ask."

"Why do you use this name Melf? Prince Brightflame--"

"Cease!" Melf commanded without regard for Halomew's station. "It is recorded that I gave up all titles and claims, so name not these bygone things to me. As for Melf, it is a simple name, as good as any." Then he unbent a little and admitted, "This art of dweomercrafting is a perilous one, good cleric, and one must protect one's true name as carefully as a miser hoards his treasured gold."
So I'm guessing Melf is his chosen name and Prince Brightflame (something) is his given true name kept in secret. Of course, it's possible he is lying here too.
(You've got me reading quite a bit on Greyhawk now I'm running the AoW) :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads