• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hordes of the Abyss.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Besides the molydeus, what other new demons appear?

What are the other two demonic races (non-tanar'ri) like?

Zarnam

First Post
Hmmm...I now you're not supposed to spoiler stuff and such, but....I MUST ASK !! Is Vucarik or Lupercio described ?? If yes, what CR ranges they got ?? :)

Oh, and the CR 25 demon from Fiend Folio wasn't a Molydeus but Klurichir

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Quasqueton said:
So the demon lords must carefully play politics to keep their minions in line, just as a human lord has to. Makes sense to me. Orcus keeps his minions happy (or fearful), so that if one were to suggest to another, "Hey, you know, you and I together could easily kill the Master," the other would turn him in to Orcus. The traitor would be destroyed, the snitch would be rewarded, and Orcus retains his position.

Hasn't it been stated many times, in many sources, that the Lower Lords keep their power as much through guile as strength?

Quasqueton

That's a good point, but even the "lower" lords have a CR higher than a (base) balor.

Of course, if you use the 3.0 balor then the lower CRs are more in line.

Which means that for my purposes, I'm probably going to use the 3.5 MM demons with the 3.0 BOVD demon lords, while those that want lower powered demon lords may do well to use the 3.0 demons in the MM with the 3.5 demon lords in Hordes of the Abyss.

What a mess!

Psion

Adventurer
Zarnam said:
Hmmm...I now you're not supposed to spoiler stuff and such, but....I MUST ASK !! Is Vucarik or Lupercio described ?? If yes, what CR ranges they got ?? :)

Since he mentioned the wolf and snake head, it doesn't sound to me like anyone was talking about the (snore) Klurichir.

Sorry, I guess fiends is one place where I am rather old school*. I haven't found any of WotCs 3e fiendish additions to be that interesting, but found their ommissions and modifications vexing. Weak ultroloths? Four armed nycoloths? Bleh!**

* - Yes, I am calling 1e/2e "old school." OD&D falls under the rubric of "fossils" for me. ;)
** - Yes I know they fixed the former. The latter error still remains...

JoeGKushner

First Post
Shade said:
Besides the molydeus, what other new demons appear?

What are the other two demonic races (non-tanar'ri) like?

It's a pretty nice list. One of my old favorites ,the goristro appears. I loved that thing since it's first apperance in Dragon under Gygax's pen.

I'll make a note to take down some notes to better answer some of these questions.

One of the nice things is that it does include a 'master' list of demons that have appeared in varous products including the abyssal drake of the draconomicon!

glass

(he, him)
Zarnam said:
No, the Molydeus was from the 2e Outer Planes Monstrous Compendium Appendix, aka MC8 (and possibly other sources before that). AFAIC, it has never been printed for 3.x before.

glass.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Psion said:
Weak ultroloths? Four armed nycoloths? Bleh!**

* - Yes, I am calling 1e/2e "old school." OD&D falls under the rubric of "fossils" for me. ;)
** - Yes I know they fixed the former. The latter error still remains...

I'd hardly call the MMIII version "fixed". :\

glass

(he, him)
Psion said:
Since he mentioned the wolf and snake head, it doesn't sound to me like anyone was talking about the (snore) Klurichir.
What was wrong with the the Klurichir? I don't have FF, but when I flisked through it they looked OK to me.

glass.

Zarnam

First Post
Whooops, sorry, didn't notice the snake head bit, my bad :p

Yes Joe, I'd be soooo very much obliged if you could check those boys for me ;)

If you have some time though, you could also check for Verin, Lynkhab, Pale Night and Alvarez :D

Thanks a lot !!

Remove ads