• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House of the Dragon spoiler thread

I haven't read the books. The show felt a little stiff to me, but I'm hoping that the actors grow into their characters. I'm hoping that there isn't too much casual cruelty, as I find GRRT verges on misanthropic at times.

But I've just finished The Sandman and the third season of For All Mankind so I need something else to watch.

good but not great.

liked
call backs to old houses
the trees
changes to the throne room
the dragons

the bad
the sex scene added really nothing to the show and was just there. same with 90% of the tourney GOT added them but they often added to the plot (secret affairs etc)

So far the characters themselves arent as interesting. Matt smith comes off as interesting but hes a shadow compared to every lannister from GOT etc (he comes off as brutal but not with his acting). If you back and read the episode 1 recap of GOT on hbo its a much better show with a lot more happening

the baby dying-something was left on the cutting room floor (no pun intended). we see the mother die and hear the baby crying and he has a son . next thing its a funeral for 2 dead bodies and talk of no heir. WTH?

What was up with that wagon? Was that a CGI wagon pulled by real horses?
houseofthedragon_carriage.jpg

Last edited:

It was...ok. Haven't read the book, but was there a need for all the whoring? Like, are the brothels just filled with potential heirs and claimants to the throne by now? All kinds of dirty fighting, right in the open, at the king's own tourney, and everyone is just fine with it?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It was...ok. Haven't read the book, but was there a need for all the whoring? Like, are the brothels just filled with potential heirs and claimants to the throne by now? All kinds of dirty fighting, right in the open, at the king's own tourney, and everyone is just fine with it?
I was left rolling with laughter of the scene in the brothel with the prince. The one where a fella just torso twists so he can give the prince attention as he speaks. Thats great stuff there.

I was left rolling with laughter of the scene in the brothel with the prince. The one where a fella just torso twists so he can give the prince attention as he speaks. Thats great stuff there.
I just feel that if the rulers of the land, for hundreds of years, just hung out in brothels, it would be a lot more accepted. Maybe it would have been more geisha-esque, even. I'm no prude, I just don't think it really added to the story much.

payn

I just feel that if the rulers of the land, for hundreds of years, just hung out in brothels, it would be a lot more accepted. Maybe it would have been more geisha-esque, even. I'm no prude, I just don't think it really added to the story much.
There is a film by Paul Verhoeven that I think is the best medieval depiction called Flesh and Blood. There is a superstitious religion, dirty, nasty, debauchers of people. It's shocking to watch because its so contrary to our modern values and norms. I think its a good exercise to examine that once in awhile. The scene with the prince's speech is just such an occasion. It's so out of the ordinary, a den of debauchery, yet still an adherence of respect for authority, thats just great writing.

For the prince, they seemed to be developing a relationship here. As you seen one scene hes with a madam, and then he shows her his dragon. Thats foreshadowing the closeness of that relationship. I wouldn't call it gratuitous either.

I had more an issue of them making face hamburger out of random knights. I mean, is it typical for a dozen or so men to buy the farm at these tourneys? That seemed a little over the top to me. Especially, in contrast of the prince yielding. Why did all these other guys just eat it?

There’s some things that nobody wants to see.
right but how did the baby die? the baby was crying. the dr says you have a son and then blam its dead? i think they edited out something . a line would have been helpful. Sire the baby died and we couldnt save it. she died in a horrible way and they could have said we couldnt save both.As a viewer i agree with you but it wasnt good storytelling

Happens all the time on television. probably a ton on shows like greys anatomy. plus we had white walkers killing babies in GOT

payn

right but how did the baby die? the baby was crying. the dr says you have a son and then blam its dead? i think they edited out something . a line would have been helpful. Sire the baby died and we couldnt save it. she died in a horrible way and they could have said we couldnt save both.As a viewer i agree with you but it wasnt good storytelling

Happens all the time on television. probably a ton on shows like greys anatomy. plus we had white walkers killing babies in GOT
Im guessing they cut a scene for time. This whole episode felt rushed like they had to fit 10 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket.

Remove ads