House of the Dragon spoiler thread

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yeah, but I was mostly focused on the fact that Alicent would be completely justified if she got an axe and killed everyone in that castle.

yeah I kept reflecting on what Rhaenys said to Alicent about always submitting to the desires of Men rather than taking the throne herself, and the Larys scene really underscores that. First her father pimps her to the king, and now even though She’s one of the most powerful woman in Westeros she still allows herself to be exploited by a petty courtier. She really should have taken an axe to him long ago - but chose not to. Should she be held responsible for her submission?

Larys due to having a disability has been ignored in life and has spun that into an unrepentantly vile personality with a awfully specific kink.

TV Tropes links the Evil Cripple trope with Envy of the Able-bodied, Crippled Genius and Depraved Deviant - Larys aint dragging his feet on any other them :p

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
yeah I kept reflecting on what Rhaenys said to Alicent about always submitting to the desires of Men rather than taking the throne herself, and the Larys scene really underscores that. First her father pimps her to the king, and now even though She’s one of the most powerful woman in Westeros she still allows herself to be exploited by a petty courtier. She really should have taken an axe to him long ago - but chose not to. Should she be held responsible for her submission?

Larys due to having a disability has been ignored in life and has spun that into an unrepentantly vile personality with a awfully specific kink.

TV Tropes links the Evil Cripple trope with Envy of the Able-bodied, Crippled Genius and Depraved Deviant - Larys aint dragging his feet on any other them :p
I think that's a large part of why Rhaneys didn't burn the royal family to death. She wants to show Alicent that women's role isnt simply to just guide men to leadership. Also, burning them to a crisp just sets a precedent that you can gain the throne by killing your way to the top. You may say thats the entire Game of Thrones theme, but its done via subterfuge. If you publicly assassinate your way in, you'll have a never ending list of challengers. Also, nobody will trust you and allies are incredibly important to running the kingdom.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I think that's a large part of why Rhaneys didn't burn the royal family to death. She wants to show Alicent that women's role isnt simply to just guide men to leadership. Also, burning them to a crisp just sets a precedent that you can gain the throne by killing your way to the top. You may say thats the entire Game of Thrones theme, but its done via subterfuge. If you publicly assassinate your way in, you'll have a never ending list of challengers. Also, nobody will trust you and allies are incredibly important to running the kingdom.
Uh.... If she roasts them a woman becomes ruler. So I'm not sure I get your first point. Sure could take the throne, or let the real heir have it.

As to your second point, they are literally talking about killing the real heir..... That won't be secret if they do it. My guess we are looking at war, though, so it's somehow better to kill soldiers and the occasional leader in war.

payn

Uh.... If she roasts them a woman becomes ruler. So I'm not sure I get your first point. Sure could take the throne, or let the real heir have it.
Alicent would be dead. She wouldn't be able to show her a world she wants to make a reality.
As to your second point, they are literally talking about killing the real heir..... That won't be secret if they do it. My guess we are looking at war, though, so it's somehow better to kill soldiers and the occasional leader in war.
Right, Rhaneys wants to see the throne claimed legitimately, she is not willing to cloak and dagger kill her opponents, but challenge them in the open. Its important that folks know, not just the small council's decision, who the real Queen/King is. This will require backing of houses and folks of the realm. Yes, this likely means lots of folks are going to die.

Stalker0

Legend
yeah I kept reflecting on what Rhaenys said to Alicent about always submitting to the desires of Men rather than taking the throne herself
The problem with that is, there is NO way alicent could take the throne. That is a fantasy. She doesn't have a private army, there are several people with way stronger claims than her, and yes the woman card is going to be a negative there.

Why would anyone back her over the other more legitimate options? Her trying to go for the throne would be a death sentence. Installing her son on the throne and maintaining some power through him is the absolute best she could hope for.

payn

The problem with that is, there is NO way alicent could take the throne. That is a fantasy. She doesn't have a private army, there are several people with way stronger claims than her, and yes the woman card is going to be a negative there.

Why would anyone back her over the other more legitimate options? Her trying to go for the throne would be a death sentence. Installing her son on the throne and maintaining some power through him is the absolute best she could hope for.
I think Rhaneys was speaking in a general sense. There is an opportunity here to "break the wheel" by letting Rhaenyra claim the throne. Instead, Alicent is choosing to maintain the status quo and thus keeping women down.

Remove ads