• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House rule for Going below 0 hp and get up again with a good berry or a healing

Al2O3

Explorer
It seems to me that solving whack-a-pc by simply using combats that won’t cause a PC to reach 0 isn’t a very good solution to the problem.
We started using the DMG guidelines and suddenly the phenomenon we did not want was gone. What wasn't gone was going to 0 hp or PC death. So going to 0 hp went from normal and not much of a threat because whack-a-PC to more uncommon but scarier. So it did fix the issue with the tone of the game.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
In short/TL;Dr:
whack-a-PC is a symptom. You can't fix it if you don't know why it happens.

Agreed.

When I first started with 5e I had the urge to create houserules for things. The more I play of it the fewer I use.

I've also noticed that 90+% of people's issues in forums are either from having 6+ PC parties or having very few encounters per long rest.

5ekyu

Hero
Agreed.

When I first started with 5e I had the urge to create houserules for things. The more I play of it the fewer I use.

I've also noticed that 90+% of people's issues in forums are either from having 6+ PC parties or having very few encounters per long rest.
Yet house rules that seem to be aimed at increasing rests keep popping up.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Yet house rules that seem to be aimed at increasing rests keep popping up.

I can confidently say that my house rules did not increase rests in our games. Or lessen them. Or impact them in any way.

YMMV, of course, if you find that to be a problem in your games. In general, I've never found short rests to be a problem at all, since they will only happen at natural break points anyway, and nobody in my party particularly likes breaking up the flow of things for a long rest.

5ekyu

Hero
I can confidently say that my house rules did not increase rests in our games. Or lessen them. Or impact them in any way.

YMMV, of course, if you find that to be a problem in your games. In general, I've never found short rests to be a problem at all, since they will only happen at natural break points anyway, and nobody in my party particularly likes breaking up the flow of things for a long rest.
I am certain your house rules are wonderful thing and my comment was not directed at those flawless beauties.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
We started using the DMG guidelines and suddenly the phenomenon we did not want was gone. What wasn't gone was going to 0 hp or PC death. So going to 0 hp went from normal and not much of a threat because whack-a-PC to more uncommon but scarier. So it did fix the issue with the tone of the game.

More uncommon I expected. What made it scarier?

guachi

Hero
I've long gone with the rule of gaining a level of exhaustion on reaching 0 HP. I think I only ever had one PC reach two levels of exhaustion. And this despite long rests being one week so it took seven days to eliminate one level of exhaustion.

A lot of PCs hit one level of exhaustion. Two PCs died in one encounter from very bad death saves, both getting reincarnated as gnomes.

I find the exhaustion rule led to more cautious play. Seven day long rests led to shower advancement and lower difficulty encounters being more problematic simply because there were more of them.

Also, the exhaustion rule was simple for the players as it uses a mechanic already in the game that's easy to find as it's at the back of the PHB.

Al2O3

Explorer
More uncommon I expected. What made it scarier?
After we changed the type of encounter we ended up with characters going to 0 hp mostly when we had already used basically all our healing in previous encounters and when we were simply overmatched. The same encounter with all spell slots and the like available might not have been very hard. Maybe it wouldn't even result in a character going down. An ambush at the end of the day with no resources left would seem more like a risk of a TPK once one character goes down.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
After we changed the type of encounter we ended up with characters going to 0 hp mostly when we had already used basically all our healing in previous encounters and when we were simply overmatched. The same encounter with all spell slots and the like available might not have been very hard. Maybe it wouldn't even result in a character going down. An ambush at the end of the day with no resources left would seem more like a risk of a TPK once one character goes down.

So going through 4 or 5 encounters with nearly no risk of PC death only to be extremely challenged with a possible TPK in the final encounter of the day (the challenge stemming from lack of resources) is scarier than risking that same possible TPK in most every fight you encounter (even with full resources)? Seems like an odd sentiment.

Remove ads