House Rules: If I show you mine, will you show me yours?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Here are my House Rules. Enjoy.

1) Players create their characters using 22 Point Buy. PCs cannot be Evil or Chaotic Evil in alignment.

2) Only dice which can be read from across the table are allowed. If someone (other than the DM) uses a die that cannot be read by others, the roll must be remade. Cocked dice are also re-rolled.

3) Each PC gets two normal powers for every one power they acquire due to levels. One power of each level is prepared, one is unprepared. Out of this pool of two powers for each power acquired, a player can replace an un-used prepared power for an unprepared power. The swap cost is a Healing Surge plus: zero action points for an At Will power, one action point for an Encounter power, and two action points for a Daily power. Note: The number of action points is based on the type of power being swapped in, not the one being swapped out. Wizards can swap in their bonus daily and utility powers at the same level. This only applies to normal powers, not racial, class feature or other powers. Powers of other levels cannot be swapped with each other.

4) An action point can be used instead of a healing surge for a heal power. For example, a Paladin could cast Lay on Hands and not use up a healing surge.

5) Remove the milestone concept for simplicity. Each PC refreshes two Action Points after each short or extended rest (shy of powers that give an additional action point). Each PC can use one or more Action Points for: an extra action (1), or to sustain (the first time) a sustainable attack power (1), or to regain a prepared or item encounter power (1), or to regain a prepared or item daily power (2), or to do #3 or #4 above. Note: The first sustain of an attack power require an action point to use. Only one action point can be used each encounter to gain an extra action as per normal. Other powers such as racial or class feature cannot be regained.

6) Each PC can use magic items exactly as if they were class powers. For example, if a heroic PC has five Daily magic items, he can use each of them once per day. A daily magic item that is already used could be re-used for 2 action points.

7) Left over action points can be used up at the end of an encounter if so desired. They cannot be used during short or extended rests or outside of an encounter. Action points can also be carried over from one encounter to the next if a rest is not done in between.

8) All non-Attack powers / effects that have a Sustain property decrease their sustain requirement. Sustain: minor becomes the longer of “until the end of the encounter” or “5 minutes” (or longer if it could normally be sustained longer). Sustain: move becomes sustain: minor. Sustain: standard becomes sustain: move.

9) Identify is a first level ritual that takes an hour to cast. Items cannot be auto-identified via resting. Any PC that takes the Ritual feat can gain the Identify ritual. The cost is 5% of the worth of the item in Residuum. If the caster does not have enough Residuum to cast the spell, the percentage of Residuum missing is the percentage chance that the ritual fails. The Residuum is automatically used up out of the caster’s store of it. The caster does not need to know ahead of time how much Residuum is required. Identify is used to identify a single potion or power scroll (see below) with no Residuum. This still takes an hour per item.

10) PCs have wound points equal to their Constitution. A PC that gets knocked unconscious is wounded and takes a wound point. Each time he fails a save while unconscious, he takes another wound point. If he fails the three saves while unconscious, he is dead (just like the normal rules). A PC also takes a wound point if an opponent does a critical on him. A PC who is at half or less of his wound points (round down) is at -1 to all D20 rolls. A PC who is at zero wound points is dead.

11) Healing of wound points: An extended rest heals one wound point. A Potion of Vitality heals one wound point (and 1/4 hit points), a Potion of Recovery heals two wound points (and 1/2 hit points) and a Potion of Life heals all wound points (and 50 hit points on a dead person, 3/4 hit points on a living person). Magical healing from an arcane or divine source heals one wound point per day per PC. A maximum of 3 wound point healing sources can be used per day per PC (1 extended rest, 1 potion, 1 spell).

12) The cost basis of magic items and wealth acquired by level in 4E is very very steep. It makes the economy difficult to control when PCs bring in so much wealth. It’s hard to explain why a shop keeper is able to pay 100,000 GP for a magical item that a mid-level PC brings in. The expensive mundane item cost, the magic item cost, and the ritual costs will be modified accordingly (I have an Excel spreadsheet that does this). What this means for the PCs is that they are carrying around less money, but they acquire the exact same magic items, rituals, etc. as they would have using the 4E system. This does not affect normal mundane costs.

13) Clerics gain their deity’s Channel Divinity feat for free.

14) The cost basis for magical items in GP.

Code:
Level	Purchase Sale Price	Level	Purchase Sale Price
1	100	30		16	3200	960
2	125	37.5		17	4000	1200
3	160	48		18	5000	1500
4	200	60		19	6300	1890
5	250	75		20	8000	2400
6	320	96		21	10000	3000
7	400	120		22	12500	3750
8	500	150		23	16000	4800
9	630	189		24	20000	6000
10	800	240		25	25000	7500
11	1000	300		26	32000	9600
12	1250	375		27	40000	12000
13	1600	480		28	50000	15000
14	2000	600		29	63000	18900
15	2500	750		30	80000	24000

15) Coins and commerce (we use physical tokens as coins in our game): The small gold coin is a GP. The large gold coin is 10 GP. The small silver coin is a PP (100 GP). The large silver coin is 10 PP (1000 GP). 4E’s 100 GP = 1 PP combined with the monetary system above works out real well for our coin system. A 30th level item costs 80 large silver coins.

At lower levels when CP and SP are a more significant portion of the game, they will be kept track of via paper instead of coins. After a few levels, CP and SP will not be showing up in the game anymore (we can assume that CP and SP found on foes is absorbed into the amount of wealth the PCs possess). At that point, we no longer need to keep track of CP and SP.

16) Gems: I will be using the quasi-rainbow system of: white gem is worth 100 GP, clear gem is worth 320 GP, yellow gem is worth 1000 GP, green gem is worth 3200 GP, blue gem is worth 100 PP, purple gem is worth 320 PP, black gem is worth 1000 PP.

3 gems of one color are worth 1 gem of the next color up. This allows for 7 different gem colors throughout various levels. When trading gems with merchants, the PCs will get the amounts listed if they sell a gem. If they trade gems however, they will get the 3 white gems for 1 clear gem trade. This means that people could buy 3 of the lesser, trade them for the 1 greater, and then sell the 1 greater to make a slight profit. Please don’t try to go that route. I’m trying for simplicity here and make gems like coins where they are worth what they are worth (approximately).

Because of this, PCs will probably not see their first gem until level 3 or 4 at the earliest.

17) Bloodied creatures are at -1 to all D20 rolls. Creatures that can fight at zero or fewer hit points are at -2.

18) The obtainer of a ritual needs the Key skill of the ritual as a known skill in order to master it.

19) A ritual with a casting time of 10 minutes can be cast from a scroll using one standard action. Other ritual scrolls require the normal time to cast (i.e. half time). Only a creature that can read and with the appropriate key skill can cast a ritual from a scroll.

20) In addition to ritual scrolls, there are now power scrolls. There is a new first level ritual called Craft Scroll that takes an hour to perform. A scroll can be made for all divine and arcane powers. A given creature crafting a scroll must have the arcane or divine power in his class list and must be of the appropriate level, but does not need to know the power. Casting from a scroll takes the same time to cast as the original power, but it requires the user to have the proper power source (arcane for arcane, divine for divine). To craft a scroll costs 1% of the level cost of a same level item (see chart above) for an At Will power, 2% for an Encounter power, and 3% for a Daily power. So, a first level encounter power spell costs 2 GP. A 29th level daily spell costs 1890 GP. Only normal level based arcane or divine powers can be crafted into power scrolls, other powers such as Martial, Racial, Paragon Class, or Class Feature powers cannot be turned into scrolls.

21) Halflings have the same speed as Dwarves: 5 squares.

22) Aid Another. Instead of 10, the DC (or AC) is the DC of what the aided PC is attempting - 10. Easy to help with easy tasks, harder to help with hard tasks, but not guaranteed (or nearly guaranteed) at any level. Only two PCs can Aid Another a third PC at any given time (too many cooks spoil the brew).

23) +2 to hit At Will martial powers such as Sure Strike and Careful Strike add Str modifier damage to the melee attack or Dex modifier damage for ranged attacks. Like most other At Will powers, these are now equal to a basic attack plus some advantage (in this case, +2 to hit). At Wills cannot be weaker than basic attacks.

24) Battle Rage Vigor supplies (CON + 1) / 2 minimum 1 temporary hit points.

25) PCs gain +1 to hit at levels 5, 10, and 15.

26) PCs gain +1 to defenses (except AC) at levels 5, 10, and 15.

27) PCs gain +1 to three ability scores instead of two ability scores at levels 4, 8, 14, 18, 24, and 28.

28) PCs in magical Heavy Armor default the masterwork bonuses for the armor as per pages 197 and 198 in PHB II. Other magical heavy armors which have limited masterwork bonuses such as in the PHB or in Adventurer’s Vault will or will not be allowed on a per item basis.

29) The mega to hit and defense feats in PHB II (and future sources) such as Weapon or Implement Expertise or Epic Lightning Reflexes are not allowed.

Monster Changes:

30) I do not like the concept of minions that always fall on a single successful attack. On the other hand, it’s nice that the DM does not need to keep track of their hit points. So, I am adding a rule that allows for minions to sometimes keep standing after multiple hits. Note: I will be rolling normal damage for minions to obscure that they are minions. I will also be doubling the XP for minions to compensate for increased durability and damage output. The players will often know that there are minions in the group, they just will have a harder time figuring out which ones they are (or are not).

31) Dragons are killing machine brutes in 4E, but they are not dragons. They have no magic. Many dragons now get either an Arcane or Divine class template plus the Ritual Caster feat. Dragons also get an additional two action points (typically for a total of 4) and can perform the same things with them that PCs can, but they are still limited to using only two action points for extra actions per encounter.

32) Paragon level adds a dice of damage for all monsters attacks (D20s become 2D10 first). Epic level adds two dice of damage for all monster attacks.

Elric

First Post
21) Halflings have the same speed as Dwarves: 5 squares.

I don't think Halflings are a good enough race to have 5 speed without becoming underpowered. Have you found them to be on the strong side, or is this just aesthetic? If it's for aesthetic reasons, I'd probably give them a benefit to make up for it (maybe a +2 or +4 racial bonus to Initiative).

23) +2 to hit At Will martial powers such as Sure Strike and Careful Strike add Str modifier damage to the melee attack or Dex modifier damage for ranged attacks. Like most other At Will powers, these are now equal to a basic attack plus some advantage (in this case, +2 to hit). At Wills cannot be weaker than basic attacks.

Interesting. Careful Strike isn't going to beat out Twin Strike even with this change (which isn't saying much), but Sure Strike is strong. Still, it's not necessarily much better than, say, Reaping Strike for a two-handed fighter, unless you get a lot of static modifiers to damage. Good idea.

24) Battle Rage Vigor supplies (CON + 1) / 2 minimum 1 temporary hit points.

I was thinking of something similar, except I'd considered also changing Dwarven Stoneblood to a Paragon feat, so a level 2 Dwarven Battlerager can't get to 5 temp HP (at which point his temp HP are a high percentage of typical monster damage).

27) PCs gain +1 to three ability scores instead of two ability scores at levels 4, 8, 14, 18, 24, and 28.

Are you changing the Barbarian's Barbarian Agility at all in light of this change? The ability was clearly designed based on the idea that a Barbarian would either not boost Dexterity, or would lose the secondary effects on his or her powers from boosting Dexterity. Now that a Barbarian can boost Strength, Dexterity, and a secondary attribute, a Barbarian can get very high AC to go with defender-level HP, at little cost. My idea was to change Barbarian Agility so that it doesn't scale; it's just a +1 AC/Reflex bonus for wearing light armor.

Given the quantity of changes, I'm surprised you haven't changed any other problematic abilities besides Battlerager Vigor.

The Orb of Imposition comes to mind. I'd probably use the common fix: Orb of imposition’s save penalty power is a free action you can use only once per encounter, but you can choose to apply it after the relevant saving throw roll has already been made.

The save-penalty items in AV deserve errata as well, but AV has so many balance issues that it would be a lot of work to compile a comprehensive house rule list in advance.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I don't think Halflings are a good enough race to have 5 speed without becoming underpowered. Have you found them to be on the strong side, or is this just aesthetic? If it's for aesthetic reasons, I'd probably give them a benefit to make up for it (maybe a +2 or +4 racial bonus to Initiative).

It was for aesthetic reasons. And, I don't think 1 speed is going to make or break them. Our group is not a lot of power gamers were it might make an actual difference.

Interesting. Careful Strike isn't going to beat out Twin Strike even with this change (which isn't saying much), but Sure Strike is strong. Still, it's not necessarily much better than, say, Reaping Strike for a two-handed fighter, unless you get a lot of static modifiers to damage. Good idea.

It was the simplest change that fixed the powers. There are a lot of ideas on giving allies pluses to hit, or adding a plus to hit for a different power in the next round, etc. that I found to be overkill.

And mathematically, Careful Strike does not beat out Twin Strike damage-wise (1st level 18 Dex Longbow Ranger against average foe does 9.99 average damage per round vs. 9.325). But, when combined with a Cleric with Righteous Brand and Flank (or Lance of Faith), it feels good to have the near automatic hit for some players. And with our rules on having prepared and unprepared at will powers, our players tend to have most of the At Wills.

I was thinking of something similar, except I'd considered also changing Dwarven Stoneblood to a Paragon feat, so a level 2 Dwarven Battlerager can't get to 5 temp HP (at which point his temp HP are a high percentage of typical monster damage).

Our group had a lot of discussions on this because we had a Dwarven BRV, but when we switched DMs, that player switched PCs, so it became a moot point. I definitely see your point though.

Are you changing the Barbarian's Barbarian Agility at all in light of this change? The ability was clearly designed based on the idea that a Barbarian would either not boost Dexterity, or would lose the secondary effects on his or her powers from boosting Dexterity. Now that a Barbarian can boost Strength, Dexterity, and a secondary attribute, a Barbarian can get very high AC to go with defender-level HP, at little cost. My idea was to change Barbarian Agility so that it doesn't scale; it's just a +1 AC/Reflex bonus for wearing light armor.

Hadn't given it a thought since we do not have a Barbarian.

Given the quantity of changes, I'm surprised you haven't changed any other problematic abilities besides Battlerager Vigor.

The Orb of Imposition comes to mind. I'd probably use the common fix: Orb of imposition’s save penalty power is a free action you can use only once per encounter, but you can choose to apply it after the relevant saving throw roll has already been made.

This was my slightly older house rules at work. I actually have a revised one on my laptop at home where I added a recent rule that Stun and Paralyze get an immediate non-modified auto-save (i.e. when Stun hits foe, foe rolls 10 or higher to save, 9 or lower to fail and work as normal). This roll is made after the player decides to use Orb of Imposition or not. It incentivizes the player to not use the Orb with Stun, but with some lesser condition.

I don't care about saves with most conditions. I only care about saves with conditions that totally remove all actions from foes. I could have added Daze to this list, but meh.

The save-penalty items in AV deserve errata as well, but AV has so many balance issues that it would be a lot of work to compile a comprehensive house rule list in advance.

I did address the save bonus for armor in AV with rule # 28.

Alex319

First Post
8) All non-Attack powers / effects that have a Sustain property decrease their sustain requirement. Sustain: minor becomes the longer of “until the end of the encounter” or “5 minutes” (or longer if it could normally be sustained longer). Sustain: move becomes sustain: minor. Sustain: standard becomes sustain: move.

What's the reasoning behind this? It seems like it would make sustain powers, especially sustain standard powers, a lot more powerful. For example, if you had a sustain standard power that did an attack each time it was sustained (and when a power is sustain standard, that is usually the reason) then with the house rule you could do the sustain attack as well as another standard action attack every round.

Elric

First Post
This was my slightly older house rules at work. I actually have a revised one on my laptop at home where I added a recent rule that Stun and Paralyze get an immediate non-modified auto-save (i.e. when Stun hits foe, foe rolls 10 or higher to save, 9 or lower to fail and work as normal). This roll is made after the player decides to use Orb of Imposition or not. It incentivizes the player to not use the Orb with Stun, but with some lesser condition.

I don't care about saves with most conditions. I only care about saves with conditions that totally remove all actions from foes. I could have added Daze to this list, but meh.

Do you mean Immobilized? I'd say that Stunned, Dominated, Unconscious (Sleep), and Petrified all qualify as removing all actions. Against monsters without a ranged attack, Immobilized and Restrained can be similar to stunning.

This change seems strange in that an unsuspecting player can hurt the average duration of his effects by using Orb of Imposition. For example, if you have a Wizard with 18 Wisdom and no other save penalties, using the Orb on a Stun power will give the target an extra save, which will make the effect have a much shorter average duration than not using the Orb. So a player could easily mess up and hurt himself by using the Orb's ability.

I did address the save bonus for armor in AV with rule # 28.

I was referring to the AV save-penalty items like Phrenic Crown, Cunning weapons, and Earthroot Staff which grant static save penalties that can lead to wizards who can eventually auto-lock enemies even without the Orb of Imposition. Those seem the most in need of errata.

Siberys

Adventurer
I'd be glad to share.

This document is a mix of houserules and homebrew material I've made myself or found on the internet. The biggest system-mods are on page 27, though I've seriously modified multiclassing, too. Most other house rules exist primarily to bring my fluff view of something in line with the rules, or else to get rid of something I disliked. (Group Skill racial traits, I'm looking at YOU!)

(As a note, there are many references to 3PP products. I'm an RPGNow addict...)

KarinsDad

Adventurer

What's the reasoning behind this? It seems like it would make sustain powers, especially sustain standard powers, a lot more powerful. For example, if you had a sustain standard power that did an attack each time it was sustained (and when a power is sustain standard, that is usually the reason) then with the house rule you could do the sustain attack as well as another standard action attack every round.

Non-attack powers.

Like Invisibility which is a standard action. I find it reasonable for an Invisible Wizard to also cast Fly or Stoneskin and not become visible (without using an Action point).

The super limited durations that can only be overcome via sustain is a design flaw IMO.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Do you mean Immobilized? I'd say that Stunned, Dominated, Unconscious (Sleep), and Petrified all qualify as removing all actions. Against monsters without a ranged attack, Immobilized and Restrained can be similar to stunning.

No, I meant Dazed because it definitely removes two actions. Immobilized does not.

I forgot about Sleep. I'll add that to the list.

For the most part, the Dominated save ends powers are in PHB II, so I was not aware that a Wizard could get them (shy of multiclassing with several feats). But, we have an Invoker, so I probably should add it.

The real issue here is Orb of Opposition, but I'm also not too keen on a 50/50 chance of stunning a foe because you hit it either. That's too potent IMO.

This change seems strange in that an unsuspecting player can hurt the average duration of his effects by using Orb of Imposition. For example, if you have a Wizard with 18 Wisdom and no other save penalties, using the Orb on a Stun power will give the target an extra save, which will make the effect have a much shorter average duration than not using the Orb. So a player could easily mess up and hurt himself by using the Orb's ability.

The save occurs with or without the Orb.

Elric

First Post
The save occurs with or without the Orb.

Sorry, I misread. I don't see anything that requires a Wizard to use his Orb power immediately when he hits an opponent with an attack, though. So unless you also require the wizard to use the orb immediately on a successful attack, or not at all, this implementation won't really work.

Daze doesn't strike me as a problematic condition in general, except when used against solos, who tend to have immediate and/or minor action attacks that Daze denies.

The real issue here is Orb of Opposition, but I'm also not too keen on a 50/50 chance of stunning a foe because you hit it either. That's too potent IMO.

Huh? You think that even with this change to weaken stun powers in general (since the stun only works 45% of the time), powers that inflict the stunned condition are still too strong?

Remove ads