House Rules: If I show you mine, will you show me yours?

Sadrik

First Post
I like this! I'm toying with the idea of letting my players trade an action point for +10 or something on an attack roll. (They really hate missing on dailies.) They wouldn't be getting an extra action out of their action point if they took this option, just the attack bonus. What do y'all think--overpowered or no? If it is overpowered, what is it about an attack instead of a skill check that needs the randomness more?

BTW, newbie question: what does RAW stand for?

Consider having them roll 2d20 and taking the highest in this way they still have a slim chance of failure but are highly unlikely to roll low and have a much greater chance of rolling high.

RAW is Rules As Written.:angel:

BobTheNob

First Post
Action Point
Instead of taking an extra action when you can spend an action point, you can use one of these effects:
• Add 20 to a skill check or ability check you’re making instead of the result of your die roll.
• When you fail a saving throw, change the result of that saving throw to a success. No action.

I can appreciate the motive for wanting something like this in the game, but to me its a bit of an encroachment on paragon classes. Paragons all have an 11th level variation on how action points are used and this seems like a real paragon class thing.

I think of paragon manifestation of action points as part of what defines them and therefore a key point in the attractiveness of each. If these options are implemented then paragons with same/similar power simply loose some (thats some...not all) of their luster.

If also detracts from players needing to invest into options to aid in there ability to save (to a very small degree).

I just wasnt of the position that action points needed fixing and this carries costs...

eriktheguy

First Post
Here are my House Rules. Enjoy.

5) Remove the milestone concept for simplicity. Each PC refreshes two Action Points after each short or extended rest (shy of powers that give an additional action point). Each PC can use one or more Action Points for: an extra action (1), or to sustain (the first time) a sustainable attack power (1), or to regain a prepared or item encounter power (1), or to regain a prepared or item daily power (2), or to do #3 or #4 above. Note: The first sustain of an attack power require an action point to use. Only one action point can be used each encounter to gain an extra action as per normal. Other powers such as racial or class feature cannot be regained.

Can/do your players use this to recover a daily power with a short rest? Does this affect the game balance?

QuestionC

First Post
These are my house rules for the Eberron campaign I start later this summer:

Skills:
The level bonus is not added to the skill modifier.

I have been considering dropping this on my players personally, but it seems like a big change. Do you have any advice regarding your experience using it and selling the idea of it to your players?

Rechan

Adventurer
Mine (so far):

1) (Courtesy of Keterys)

The bonus to attack is not based on the primary ability score the power uses. Instead, the formula for any attack is as follows:

5 + 1/2 level + Weapon Proficiency
+1 at levels 5/11/15/21/25

Expertise feats are banned.

Damage still depends on the primary ability score of the power (thus a Cha based power still does +cha damage).

2) Rel's use of Exploding Skills, Power Stunts and adjustment to Milestones.

3) Use a daily, it doesn't hit? You can opt to not expend the daily (and thus lose the action), but you do not gain the benefits of an Effect or Miss.

4) Battlerage Vigor is banned.

5) Careful Attack/Sure Strike. Add the following Text: Effect: You gain a +2 to the next attack you make.

6) Infernal Wrath's bonus damage is based on a mental stat of the player's choice.

7) Roll a 1 and you grant combat advantage until the beginning of your next turn.

8) If while stunned, you fail the save by 3 or less, you are instead dazed.

Rules currently under construction:

Solos and Conditions: A daze = loss of a move action, a Stun = loss of a standard action.

Magical items. I'm trying to think of a way to completely overhaul the magical item system. A way to make magical items more like artifacts. Likely I'll hand out a +1 at certain levels to all stats, and try to design some sort of items, but at the moment I just don't know.

Integrating Aspects (from Spirit of the Century) to D&D. Then linking Aspects to Action Points, and expanding the use of Action Points. This one I hesitate to do, because it might complicate matters and make it more of a muddled mess.

Last edited:

Burrito Al Pastor

First Post
I try to keep things informal where houserules are concerned. I don't ban things so much as I... very strongly recommend against certain things, should a player eye them. (Battlerager Vigor is my big one.)

I have a very silly stat system - 21 point buy, as per normal point buy rules... except that you have to spend all 21 on two stats. No more, no less. That means either a 17 and a 16 or an 18 and a 14. Then, you get 7 points to spend on all your other stats. Theoretically there could be some very silly builds where this would be problematic, but for most things it's just nice, and ensures that everybody has minimally acceptable attack modifiers.

Everybody gets Expertise for free. In everything. All the time. I'm not limiting it to "You get a bonus feat which you have to spend on an Expertise feat", or anything like that; take it once for everything you might ever possibly use, if you want.

I think I have a few "Rule of Cool" exceptions to specific rules, but they're mostly minor. For example, I'll let the rogue use the soft cover of the fighter as concealment for Stealth, even if that shouldn't work. Why? Because she loves doing that, and that's what really matters.

Eberron-specific stuff:
If the early reports I'm seeing on the Eberron weapons are accurate, then I'm going to house rule the drow long knife and double scimitar, hard. Because the printed stats are dumb, to the point that I expect errata.

Take any dragonmark you damn well please, but if you're not the appropriate race for the dragonmark you take, it's an aberrant mark, everybody will hate you and fear you, and I'll be extra-mean to you.

Remove ads