Houserules

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
This is a thread for houserules and variant rules for boardgames, card games, strategy games, and even CCG's.

There was recently a thread talking about a website for variant rules for CCG's and Boardgames. That thread reminded me of a "houserule" for RISK that we used to use while I was in the military (there tends to be a lot of "wait" time while on alert, during exercises, and on deployments). I did a google search for variant rules and didn't find this one on any of the various websites that have variant rules. And, like the previous thread I mentioned, I found a few where it was required to pay for these variant rules (I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not paying for variant rules for a boardgame - especially from a website that can't even spellcheck their homepage). So, I figured the best people for "houserules" are right here on ENWorld.

This thread can be a place for us to post our common (or not so common) "houserules" we use for boardgames, strategy games, card games, and even CCG'S.

Please put the name of the game for which the rules are for in the title block. This will make it easier for someone to browse through the thread for rules to a specific game.

I'll kick off the thread with the aforementioned rule I was reminded of.

Last edited:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Risk

Nuke Rule.

This rule will probably extend the duration of a game.

In Basic RISK, once someone is able to conquer an entire continent, and secure it by placing the majority of their armies (or all of their armies – except minimum occupying armies) on the territories that make natural strategic chokepoints for the continent, they have a very large advantage for the rest of the game. At that point, it’s just a matter of time until that player, or one of the players who were able to do this, will win.

The “Nuke” Rule:
In order to extend the duration of the game, and introduce some extra random chance and extra strategic options, use the following rule. This rule eliminates the ability of any one player to put the majority of their armies in one territory, without exposing themselves to the risk of being taken out in one shot. This rule introduces an aspect that requires players to not put all of their eggs in one basket.

At the beginning of the game (either before country selection or after territory selection – group choice), each player will choose one territory to “target” a nuke at. Each player writes the name of this territory on a small piece of paper (i.e. post-it), without revealing their choice to the other players, and then keeps that paper with any cards they acquire.

At any time during the players turn, that player may “detonate” their nuke. All armies on the targeted territory, regardless of player, are immediately removed from the board. The player who detonated the nuke places 10 of his/her own armies on the targeted territory. If another players armies occupied the territory, the player who detonated the nuke acquires a card at the end of his/her turn, just as if they had conquered a territory through normal attacks.

When a player is defeated, the player who defeats him/her gets that players nuke (if unused) along with that players cards.

You can give this rule any color or fluff you want. It doesn’t necessarily need to be called a “nuke”. It could also be called “plague”, “natural disaster”, “revolt”, “uprising”, “resistance fighters”, or any other name that works for you and your group.

Some possible strategic uses:
Target your nuke at a typical strategic chokepoint (i.e. Siam, Indonesia, Brazil, North Africa, Greenland, Iceland, Great Britain, etc). Use it to establish a beachhead, or eliminate another players defensive point to a conquered continent.

Pick a territory that can be used as a last chance location, usually an out of the way territory (i.e. Japan, Madagascar, etc.). If you are getting close to being conquered (almost out of territories/armies), but you survive to get one last turn, set off your nuke for the 10 armies (whether in someone elses country or your own). It may be enough for a second chance.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Munchkin develops a problem as you add expansions - it's entirely possible to go the whole game without encountering a monster, which makes it impossible to get ahead. We borrowed (and enjoy) this house rule from a local game store owner:

Separate all the door cards into piles of monsters, curses, and everything else. Shuffle most of the curses into the monster deck and a few into the everything else deck. When a player kicks in the door or loots the room, they can choose from either the monster deck or the other one.
-blarg

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Thanks Blarg.:cool: Thanks for the contribution.:D

Come on ENWorld. This place has some of the best houserulers on the planet. There's no way nobody here doesn't have some variant rules to common boardgames, strategy games, card games and CCG's. Whether it's Kingmaker, Carcasone, Monopoly, Pinochle, or Go-Fish, I know there's some good stuff out there. Let's hear them.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon

Whenever you have to pay taxes or suffer a monetary loss due to the drawing from one of the two decks, the money goes on the center of the board. Whoever lands on free parking gets the pot of cash in the middle.

NOTE: I'm not sure how widespread this houserule is for Monopoly, but I figured what the heck.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Axis & Allies

Icebreaker Tech
If this technology is succefully researched, then all submarines are able to pass through any square that is treated as land, so long as the land space is depicted as ice.

Tank Blitz Tech
If this technology is succefully researched, then the land movement of the player's tanks is increased by 1.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Whenever you have to pay taxes or suffer a monetary loss due to the drawing from one of the two decks, the money goes on the center of the board. Whoever lands on free parking gets the pot of cash in the middle.

NOTE: I'm not sure how widespread this houserule is for Monopoly, but I figured what the heck.

It's very widespread, and it's actually one of the worst houserules you could use. It actually causes the game to break!

The reason is that, on an average pass around the board, you'll lose over $200. So, there's a spiral downwards with your cash that means the game has an end.

If you use the Free Parking houserule, that isn't in effect: more money is placed in the game than is taken out. And thus you get the game of Monotony (not that I enjoy the game much in any case) where it just drags on and on and on and on...

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Arkham Horror - solo

When playing solo Arkham Horror (which is not an easy game), I occasionally use this variant: I don't go through the gates. When I land on an open gate, when I then try to close it I must first encounter an appropriate Outer World encounter. If that doesn't delay me, then I can immediately close the gate (assuming I make the skill check correctly).

A gate opening on my location or an encounter card (Gate opens) will still suck me through into the Outer World.

You can't use the variant until at least 2 gates have opened on the board (otherwise winning by closing all the gates is too easy!)

Cheers!

scitadel

First Post
Order of the Stick

This house rule reduces the playing time of the game, one of the major issues of Order. All players start with 1 additional Scthick. Also, if playing with more than 3 players, reduce suggested dungeon levels by 1.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Magic the Gathering: The "No Trailer-Park Magic" Rule
1. You can only use red direct damage against a monster or other similar things. Directly zapping the other players results in derision and scorn from other players.

Almost Any Game: The "Fortune Favors the Bold" Rule
1. When you can take a given play that is less than likely to be successful, but with a large reward, you gotta take it. Note that "less than likely" does not mean impossible or next-to-impossible. Not doing so results in derision and scorn from other players.

Scrabble: The "Other Player Timers" Rule
1. Any turn is deemed to be taking too long once a majority of the "other players" in the game have determined that it has taken too long. When this point has been reached you must make the best play available or trade in some times and pass. Failure to do so results in derision and scorn from other players.

Most Games: The "Floored Die" Rule
1. When a die rolls off the table, you must reroll it on the table.
2. If you call "It Counts!" or some variation while the die is actually falling you may instead use the roll as it lies on the floor.
3. If rolling multiple die at the same time, then the rule used for the floored die also counts for the die that stay on the table. Thus you either reroll the entire bunch or reroll nothing.

Most Games: The "Cocked Die" Rule
1. When a die lands cocked you must gently drum the table with fists until it settles on a side. This is the roll that is used.
2. If drumming will not uncock the die or the game being played prevents drumming then it must be rerolled.
3. If the cocked die were rolled with other noncocked die, then only the cocked die are rerolled.

Most Games: The "Boulder of Death" Rule
1. When playing games with many pieces/counters on the board that can be upset by errant die, make ABSOLUTELY sure you roll away from the board.
2. When rolling into the board and upsetting pieces, best effort must be made to recreate the existing locations. If there are uncertainties the owner of the pieces may choose where everythign goes.\
3. At any time during any game a player may be put "on notice" for rolling onto the board too many times. Ad-hoc penalties are allowed to be applied for further breaches of the gameboard.

DS

Note: Almost all of our house rules are enforced by scorn/derision and not by outright bans. We like to leave options open as designed but with social penalties.

Remove ads