Houston Game Club?

El Jefe

First Post
I like the November 4 idea. I'm thinking that since we're from just about every part of town, a central location would be best.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
But what's "central"? I consider the Rice area to be about the center, with UH being closer to the center though it's only a couple more miles in.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
Are there any Houston area game stores that are participating in the World Wide game day? If yes, how about we try to start there and maybe plan future events as desired?

I looked at the Rice game club (WARP) website. It doesn't look like they have had any game days in nearly a year. I know their LARP game used to be huge, but what about table top RPGs, board games and miniatures games? It doesn't look like they have much going on right now.

I'm all for meeting any and all interested parties at any game store that will support the DnD game day, and if they're up for supporting a "club" then we go with that.

I'm also up for going with WARP if they are actually active in arenas other than their LARP.

Jdvn1

Brent_Nall said:
Are there any Houston area game stores that are participating in the World Wide game day? If yes, how about we try to start there and maybe plan future events as desired?
Definitely. I'm pretty sure there are a few that make a point to do it every year. There should be an official list, though, in about five days, I think.
Brent_Nall said:
I looked at the Rice game club (WARP) website. It doesn't look like they have had any game days in nearly a year. I know their LARP game used to be huge, but what about table top RPGs, board games and miniatures games? It doesn't look like they have much going on right now.
I think they may not update their website too often, but my idea is that if there's enough EN World interest in it, we could throw together our own gameday via WARP--hence, we'd have access to their facilities and resources (whatever that means).
Brent_Nall said:
I'm all for meeting any and all interested parties at any game store that will support the DnD game day, and if they're up for supporting a "club" then we go with that.

I'm also up for going with WARP if they are actually active in arenas other than their LARP.
Ditto on both accounts.

Boss

First Post
Hey guys,

My biggest problem is my location vs. time. I live in Magnolia and work just south of Humble. And nowhere near either location is a game store. The closest being Enigmas (which I don't know if it is still open or not, it was closed for awhile) and the newly opened Tri-Games in NW Houston (Jones @ Grant). I've got a group of about 6 that meet weekly in the Copperfield area.

Scott Roberts

Jdvn1

Err. So would farther trip for most people (to a particular side of town?) but less often (once a month) work better for people?

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
So, rattle off some game store names (in addition to the ones we already have), and I'll start making phone calls tomorrow to find a place to meet.

Enigmas (never heard of this one; where is it?)
Tri-Games (NW Houston @ Jones/Grant; never heard of this one either)
Horizon Games (near El Dorado and I-45 S)
Midnight Comics (near Highway 6 and Westheimer)

Nan's (has ZERO game space, but maybe they could accomodate?)

Boss

First Post
Enigmas is at Spring Cypress & Hwy 249. They have a decent amount of space (I will go by today and make sure they are still there). Tri-Games has a limited amount of space as well (they've been open for maybe two months). Unfortunately, there just isn't a centrral location. Everything is on the fringes, and in Houston, that will mean a long trip no matter what for some people.

Personally, I don't mind driving in Houston, my current gaming group causes me to drive an hour each way every Wednesday, and that is without any traffic. Makes Thursday morning a royal pain because I don't get home until after midnight, but we do what we must for our habits. :D

Unfortunately, I would not be able to join in anything until after Halloween. I am working at Phobia Haunted House every weekend, and I am now to the point that I have something going on every weeknight (and work weekdays). But, I am definitely interested!

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Brent_Nall said:
So, rattle off some game store names (in addition to the ones we already have), and I'll start making phone calls tomorrow to find a place to meet.
Well, tomorrow is the store signup deadline, according to the WotC site, so I'd hope a list of participating stores would be available by Saturday.

Though, calling probably isn't a bad idea anyway. That way, not only would you know if they're participating a little earlier but you'd also be able to ask if they'd accomodate an EN World table. ... I'm just thinking out loud, I guess. ;)
Brent_Nail said:
Enigmas (never heard of this one; where is it?)
Tri-Games (NW Houston @ Jones/Grant; never heard of this one either)
Horizon Games (near El Dorado and I-45 S)
Midnight Comics (near Highway 6 and Westheimer)
There's also Hero's Collectibles (though I tend to hate those places) which is a chain in various places in town. And, Bo's Comics and Cards (I think is the name), though it's so far out there that it makes Midnight Comics seem close to downtown (okay, I'm exagerrating). But, if you only care about gaming space, Hero's is an option.
Brent_Nail said:
Nan's (has ZERO game space, but maybe they could accomodate?)
If you want to ask about places with no gaming space, there's both Nan's and Third Planet. I'm not partial to either.
Boss said:
Personally, I don't mind driving in Houston, my current gaming group causes me to drive an hour each way every Wednesday, and that is without any traffic. Makes Thursday morning a royal pain because I don't get home until after midnight, but we do what we must for our habits. :D
Ah, the many ways gaming is like crack... :lol:
Boss said:
Unfortunately, I would not be able to join in anything until after Halloween. I am working at Phobia Haunted House every weekend, and I am now to the point that I have something going on every weeknight (and work weekdays). But, I am definitely interested!
Well I don't know about you, but I'd more than likely have to do morning-ish/early-afternoon on that Saturday anyway. I'm going to be working that day at around 4 or 5. Poor college students have to find some way to buy more books... ;)

Remove ads