• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How about . . . X-Com Apocylapse

The Edge

First Post
Heres a setting I don't think many will have tried out. :)

Anyone played the old PC game X-Com Apocylapse? I'm gonna have a go at a campain based on it.

Really I'm just looking for a fun easy campain, the focus on action, light on roleplaying and story. The players (my two brothers) will play squad leaders of their team of X-Com agents. They will also control the squad, but generaly only for combat and such, they probably wont be roleplaying the other soldiers. They may need to do things like calming down their troops as nerves start to get a bit frayed.

It will prety much all be mission based, I give em a brief, they choose some gear, and go in and clear the area of aliens as is the X-Com tradition. It will also be cool to be able throw in some extra misson objectives and events that don't happen in the game. If it go's well then I'm planning on the posibility of 'calling in reinforcements'; ie, inviteing some others to play another squad in a bigger session. The players can roleplay as much as they feel like. I'll leave it to them to see how much character they put into the game, or whether they just want to role some dice.

It shouldn't be too taxing to GM, but there are a few things I need to work out.

> Classes and levels. An advanced class for X-Com agent or something like that? What level to start at? Im thinking 4 at the moment.
> Alien statistics. Should be fairly simple for most, although some like the brain suckers may take a little extra attention to play well.
> Weaponry and equipment. Another easy task.
> Maps and missions. No shortage of ideas, but I'm going to need a lot of squared paper, and they may take a while to design. Im no arcitect, and it just wouldnt be true to the game to cram the players in some small set of rooms.
> Psychic abilities. I know one player wants to play a mutant, and therefore I need to be sure of how to handle psychic powers. I could just use D20 moderns psion rules as they are, but they're not quite in line with X-Coms. This might be the hardest problem to address, or I may just have to put up with it, after all I wanted something low hassle.

So, any thoughts? Ideas about the psychic matter especialy apreciated.

(It really was a great old game. Oh how I smiled with glee as my agents bring an entire building crashing down, packed with aliens. And how I regreted it when the owners demanded I repay them for their lost building. :heh: )

Psion

Adventurer
I've never played X-Com Apocalypse, but I am a fan of the old X-Com game.

My Public Domain setting for Spycraft 2.0 is based, in part, on X-Com. And I have long thought that Spycraft would be a good system for the unit action. I also think the way that Spycraft 2.0 has good rules for leadership, tactics, and gadgets works well for the setting, and there are psychic rules on the net that could be adapted to the setting.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Ages ago I used d6 for X-com. But I would agree with Alan that Spycraft really almost screams the sort of combat you found in those games.

(Personally I'm hoping/praying that X-com is one of the games that will be available for the PSP via the PS1 emulator. As it was ported to the PS1)

Roudi

First Post
I don't know so much about X-Com Apocalypse, but I'd love a setting based off of X-Com: UFO Defense. That was old school action.

X-Com agents aren't really anything special. I don't see the need for a special class to represent them. If I were to run an X-Com game, I'd pick up Blood & Guts 2: Military Training Manual and use the five classes within appropriately. X-Com training would probably require a few new MOS's or a slight reworking of current MOS's to fit the organization.

4th is an appropriate starting level for X-Com agents. There were some missions in UFO Defense where it felt like I had a whole team of first-level Ordinaries...

I'd recommend implementing some form of morale / panic / sanity system. Having your troops panic and flee at the sight of some alien horror is a staple of X-Com gaming. I suppose Call of Cthulhu d20 might have something along these lines. The D&D Minis game also has a morale mechanic that you might be able to Macguyver into something useful.

As for psychics, this thread discusses different psionics systems to use with d20 Modern & Future. I'd recommend starting your search here.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Psion said:
I've never played X-Com Apocalypse, but I am a fan of the old X-Com game.

My Public Domain setting for Spycraft 2.0 is based, in part, on X-Com. And I have long thought that Spycraft would be a good system for the unit action. I also think the way that Spycraft 2.0 has good rules for leadership, tactics, and gadgets works well for the setting, and there are psychic rules on the net that could be adapted to the setting.
Heh, I'm doing the same with Spycraft, starting as an espionage game, working into military. The players have only started picking up on why Season 1 is called 'Enemy Unknown'... :D Not using it as my primary Spycraft campaign, but good for filling in details on my regular 1880s game.

Apocalypse was not the great game that X-Com: Enemy Unknown was, but it was not bad. (Though getting the bill for a battle in a Hydroponics plant... Ouch!)

The Auld Grump

The Edge said:
Heres a setting I don't think many will have tried out. :)

Anyone played the old PC game X-Com Apocylapse? I'm gonna have a go at a campain based on it.

Played it. Loved the storyline. Hated the gameplay. Even the person who introduced me to the game found ways of cheating (eg constantly saving after EVERY action).

But I blame the game engine, not the setting.

Really I'm just looking for a fun easy campain, the focus on action, light on roleplaying and story. The players (my two brothers) will play squad leaders of their team of X-Com agents. They will also control the squad, but generaly only for combat and such, they probably wont be roleplaying the other soldiers. They may need to do things like calming down their troops as nerves start to get a bit frayed.

It will prety much all be mission based, I give em a brief, they choose some gear, and go in and clear the area of aliens as is the X-Com tradition. It will also be cool to be able throw in some extra misson objectives and events that don't happen in the game. If it go's well then I'm planning on the posibility of 'calling in reinforcements'; ie, inviteing some others to play another squad in a bigger session. The players can roleplay as much as they feel like. I'll leave it to them to see how much character they put into the game, or whether they just want to role some dice.

It shouldn't be too taxing to GM, but there are a few things I need to work out.

> Classes and levels. An advanced class for X-Com agent or something like that? What level to start at? Im thinking 4 at the moment.

I don't think you need one if you're not using FX. However, any kind of "spy" class or Xenophile class (from D20 Future) might be considered fun or useful.

> Alien statistics. Should be fairly simple for most, although some like the brain suckers may take a little extra attention to play well.
> Weaponry and equipment. Another easy task.
> Maps and missions. No shortage of ideas, but I'm going to need a lot of squared paper, and they may take a while to design. Im no arcitect, and it just wouldnt be true to the game to cram the players in some small set of rooms.

I found a series of maps on a page online. I'll see if I can attach one for you to look at (it's a forest map). I downloaded all the maps I wanted but no longer know which page they came from or who the author is. I'm hoping someone will recognize the map.

D20 Critical Locations, Modern Backdrops and People, Places & Things are good sources for maps, too.

> Psychic abilities. I know one player wants to play a mutant, and therefore I need to be sure of how to handle psychic powers. I could just use D20 moderns psion rules as they are, but they're not quite in line with X-Coms. This might be the hardest problem to address, or I may just have to put up with it, after all I wanted something low hassle.

D20 Apocalypse has some more psychic mutant rules. The only thing I recall from X-Com's psychic rules were extreme frustration. What sort of psychic powers did X-Com agents sometimes have?

Attachments

• Medium_Woods.JPG
    Medium_Woods.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 69

Henry

Autoexreginated
If I were running it, I well might use Savage Worlds or similar, because I keep hearing it can handle small squad-level tactics well, leading just two players in easier use of handling multiple proponents.

Breakdaddy

First Post
Henry said:
If I were running it, I well might use Savage Worlds or similar, because I keep hearing it can handle small squad-level tactics well, leading just two players in easier use of handling multiple proponents.

You took the words right out of my mouth. This sort of game is what Savage Worlds was made for. SW is great for small or middle scale unit tactics, especially for modern or sci fi settings.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Roudi said:
I'd recommend implementing some form of morale / panic / sanity system. Having your troops panic and flee at the sight of some alien horror is a staple of X-Com gaming.

Pfft. You just have to move your squads in overwatch formation, take your time, and reserve lots of time units for opportunity fire.

Um...

Not to mention immediately firing any soldiers who showed up without a decent bravery score.

Oh.

And saving/reloading often.

Yeah, all that.

Remove ads