• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How big are regulation dice?

Festivus

First Post
I use dinky dice that came with the Star Wars card game for marking stuff on the table, and humungo 20 siders. There is no "regulation size" that I am aware of.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
What you want are the Official Numbered Polyhedra of the 2011 Nuclear Winter Olympics (TM, PDQ, Esq., et alia) They can be recognized by the hologram etched into their DNA using the latest quantum hydrodynamic encryption and four barrel dual carbonation.

I mean, that's if you want to be hip.

malraux

First Post
A guy I game with has the red and black ones. I can kind of read them if I get close. But just looking over, even when sitting next to him, they're almost impossible to read. I don't think he's cheating at all, but man they're hard to read

Well, I was smart enough to get the white dice with black text, which makes a huge difference.

blalien

First Post
Anyone else wondering how this guy got up to 175 posts and never learned how to buy dice?

Any set you buy from a company like Chessex or Crystal Caste will be legitimate. And any serious D&D tournament with a cash reward will supply their own dice.

Now if you want to learn how to rig your dice, that's a whole 'nother conversation.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
There's no official regulation on dice size, but check with your dm before you get anything too big or small to use at the table.

One of my friends, who DMs on alternate weekends, looooooved his big golf-ball size dice. He also couldn't roll well to save his life. Or ours, for that matter.

Finally, in our 3.0 Birthright game, after he missed one too many times, I finally had enough of this. I gave him about eight of my surplus d20s, and he promptly started rolling above 10.

Now, cut forward two weeks. I walk into the Birthright game, almost to be lynched by the players who were in my friend's game. See, his poor dice rolls had led him to stack his encounters with Big Bag of Hit Points monsters, so they'd last long enough to do something. But with the good dice, he almost killed several PCs.

So, yeah. I'd go with "normal"-sized dice.

Brad

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
The only regulations I've ever seen for dice is how they are numbered. (You cannot have "spin down" dice where the high numbers are clustered in the same part of the die).

Ditto on the "spin-down" D20s (which are actually life-counters for MtG, if I remember correctly, not dice per-se)

I have played with people using marbled dice with difficult to read numbers that infuriate me... almost to the point where I wish I could buy them a set of flat, ivory colored dice with black numbers and force them to use it.

However, I know my players well enough and I know they would not cheat...

And, really... Anyone contemplating cheating in a roleplaying game is a sad, pathetic little person.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
I have played with people using marbled dice with difficult to read numbers that infuriate me... almost to the point where I wish I could buy them a set of flat, ivory colored dice with black numbers and force them to use it.

My own dice are probably what you refer to as "marbled". They can be difficult to read at some angles and in some light, but I find that to be true of most dice on the table. The DMs in our group don't seem to have a problem with them. I guess generally they just trust us.

I bought them because I thought they were pretty. Maybe that's not a valid reason to most people, but it was important to me. I put up with using a male elf two-bladed warrior to represent my female human swordmage because it's so hard to find good miniatures -- but at least my dice say "me".

Remove ads