D&D 5E How can my sorcerer become a decent healer?

Jade Lawrence

First Post
Hey folks, this is my first post here and I'm looking for some feedback to help me. I am currently a sorcerer in D&D 5E and I want to be able to help my party more by healing (we don't have a normal healer so I need to multi-class to help them out). What class should I do that will give me some healing spells but that uses Charisma as the main skill because my other skills SUCK! lol. Please and thank you for any feedback folks.

Rossbert

Explorer
Bare. Bard all day long. Though really it is the only option if you have no other abilities high enough to multi class to paladin, druid or cleric.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I am assuming you are a Divine Soul Sorcerer? Between Twin Spell and Empowered Healing they have about as much healing power as a non-life cleric.

Ask your DM if you can re-subclass if you aren't a Divine Soul. Otherwise, you are basically stuck with multiclassing into a Lore Bard or Celestial Warlock for a significant number of levels.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The Divine Soul Sorcerer is one of the new Subclasses from Xanathar's Guide to Everything. The gist is that you have "divine blood" instead of "dragon blood" or whatever, which gives you access to cleric spells (and some divine powers) in addition to the normal Sorcerer Spell list.

CTurbo

Explorer
You could take the reverse healing route and take the Inspiring Leader feat for a decent amount of Temporary hit points before battles.

The Healer feat could also work for out of combat healing.

Bard is the most obvious choice is you REALLY want to multiclass. You'd get Healing Word, and Cure Wounds as well as other Bard goodies like Jack of all Trades, Song of Rest, and Inspiration dice.

Paladin is another great choice if you want to be MUCH tougher. A couple of levels gets you Lay On Hands, a Fighting Style, Armor, Shield, Smites, and at least Cure Wounds.

5ekyu

Hero
others have said what i was going to...

As a sorc considering MC i will assume a 13+ in CHA and DEX are both likely... others not so much.

Divine soul... sub-class option. XGtE
Healers feat - also consider if you multi-class rogue thief your healer's kit can be a bonus action that cures... 1d6+4+1/HD iirc leaving you a full spell to throw. PHB
Inspiring feat - temp Hp = pre-healing. PHB
Warlock-celestial option also XGtE

Another option possibly less useful is to start focusing on abjuration and those kinds of effects - possibly illusions as well - because if you work at it there are a lot of options for "stop damage from happening" with cutting lines of sight or straight up counterspells and the like.

One of the things i like about 5e is how its no longer just cleric/druid/pally and the occasional bard that can compete in that arena.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Hey folks, this is my first post here and I'm looking for some feedback to help me. I am currently a sorcerer in D&D 5E and I want to be able to help my party more by healing (we don't have a normal healer so I need to multi-class to help them out). What class should I do that will give me some healing spells but that uses Charisma as the main skill because my other skills SUCK! lol. Please and thank you for any feedback folks.

Life cleric or bard depending on your wisdom.

You probably don't need more than 1 level in either to be good enough at healing.
Consider the inspiring leader and healer feats.

You can always tell the DM no one wants to play a healer and ask if he will just make healing potions or rods of cure wounds or whatever items can be used for healing very easy to obtain. That is if you don't really want to play the healer.

Instead of asking for items you could ask for a healing cleric henchman to follow the party.

There's lots of options for healing so don't feel shoehorned into playing a healer if you really don't want to.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
What about that feat that gives you a 1st level spell (known) and two cantrips? Or did they change that in errata? If they did I will ignore it so take that game designer.

Remove ads