D&D 5E How can my sorcerer become a decent healer?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Hey folks, this is my first post here and I'm looking for some feedback to help me. I am currently a sorcerer in D&D 5E and I want to be able to help my party more by healing (we don't have a normal healer so I need to multi-class to help them out). What class should I do that will give me some healing spells but that uses Charisma as the main skill because my other skills SUCK! lol. Please and thank you for any feedback folks.

If you can re-spec into a Divine Soul sorcerer, that one is a great choice, between the free Cure Wounds, Twin Spell and empowered healing, you are quite efficient at healing.

Another good option is multiclassing into Celestial Warlock, the warlock's pact magic is a good reliable complement to sorcerer, you slow down your progress though, and you can also use twin spell shenanigans.

Bard is your other option, but again multiclassing slows down your progression without a clear hook, the plus side is that you get more spells known and you can keep using twin spell

CTurbo

Explorer
What about that feat that gives you a 1st level spell (known) and two cantrips? Or did they change that in errata? If they did I will ignore it so take that game designer.

You're talking about Magic Initiate. Unfortunately, he'd only be able to cast the new 1st level spell once per long rest so I don't think this is a very good option.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
What about that feat that gives you a 1st level spell (known) and two cantrips? Or did they change that in errata? If they did I will ignore it so take that game designer.

If the spell isn't on your class list you can only cast it once per day.

Gafgarionn

First Post
Hey folks, this is my first post here and I'm looking for some feedback to help me. I am currently a sorcerer in D&D 5E and I want to be able to help my party more by healing (we don't have a normal healer so I need to multi-class to help them out). What class should I do that will give me some healing spells but that uses Charisma as the main skill because my other skills SUCK! lol. Please and thank you for any feedback folks.
Does your DM allow feats? If so, you might get the feat - Inspiring Leader p. 167, This allows you to prepare 10 minutes ahead of time. Spend 10 mins and you and up to six friendly creatures within 30 ft. (can include you), gain temporary hit points equal to your level + Charisma modifier, per rest. Or you can get the Healer p.167 feat. This allows you to use a healer's kit to stabilize a dying creature, that creature also gains 1 hp. As well as, As an action, you can spend a use of the healer's kit to tend to a creature and restore 1d6+4 hit points to it, plus additional hit points equal to their maxium hit dice will allow. This creature can only gain these benefits once per rest.

What is your character's Wisdom score? You could get the feat Magic Initiate p.168. This feat will let you pick 2 cantrips from a class you choose, as well as 1 first level spell from the class you pick. You can cast this level one spell only as the level 1. So sadly, you can't cast it as a higher spell slot. And only cast it once per long rest. Choose Bard, so you can get either Cure Wounds p.230 or Healing Word p.250.

Satyrn

First Post
You're talking about Magic Initiate. Unfortunately, he'd only be able to cast the new 1st level spell once per long rest so I don't think this is a very good option.

He should ask his DM. I'd let him use the spell with his sorcerer slots.

AndruC

First Post
Wand of Cure Wounds

This is totally house-ruled, but I run a game in which there are no healing classes, and it takes place in Eberron.

What I did was let them find a Wand of Cure Wounds. It functions just like the Wand of Magic Missiles but with a different spell. Because he's a sorcerer he's taken Distant Spell as his Metamagic option so that he can spend 1 sorcery point to cast the spell from the wand at a range of 30 feet. It's come in handy on numerous occasions and the risk of it breaking when it's out of charges has been a very real concern to the party.

Last edited:

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Consider 2 levels of Paladin: cure wounds, Lay on Hands, medium armor+shields, Fighting Style, and of course you can use your sorcerer spell slots to fuel paladin smites. Good times.

Remove ads