• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do Bards acquire new spells?

Dave G

First Post
Howdy!

I was re-reading the PHB (maybe I'm just dense and I missed it) and I really didn't see anywhere that described the process of exactly how Bards learn new spells. The question came up because of this text in the Harper Scout PrC from the FRCS
A 1st-level Harper scout learns two spells from the Harper scout 1st-level spell list. She learns two new Harper scout spells of any level she can cast at any Harper scout level thereafter. There is no limit to the numer of these spells the Harper scout can know from this list. She may learn more from studying arcane scrolls or spellbooks

And also does this mean the Scout may learn more spells from the class list or more in general?

Thanks for the help!

Ealli

First Post
A bard learns spells just like a sorcerer. One day the bard just knows the new spell permenantly. The quote text about Harpers looks like how wizards learn spells, study and spellbook.

It looks like Harpers can only learn spells that appear on the Harper class spell list.

StoneAxe

First Post
Never ending song

In my campaign when the bard is entitled to learn a new spell it manifest itself as tune. This tune is stuck in the characters head until he acknowledges it, which requires 15 minutes of quite concentration per level of the spell. To demonstrate the level of distraction this tune cause the character I as the DM sing a few verses of "It's a small world..." :D

Remove ads