• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do I build a max dpr rogue?

transtemporal

Explorer
I'm not a mega-expert on rogues in 5e and I don't usually play them but in this campaign, we thought it'd be fun to switch around so everyone gets to play something different. So I got rogue.

The first requirement is someone who can do stealthy stuff, scout and spot/disarm traps. Second requirement is a damage dealer, preferably a big damage dealer since our party is a bit light on DPR/Coordination.

The first requirement I could probably fulfil with a bard, since they seem pretty snazzy at skill stuff, but the DPR I'm not sure about (another class I don't know much about). Is it just a case of taking 20 levels of rogue and calling it a day? Or are there snazzy multiclass combos to be considered? What would be your recommendation o' mavericks of enworld?

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
You're jumping right up to 20th level? :)

The classes work really well without multi-classing. The Rogue Assassin can be SUPER deadly. The basics of the Rogue make them all useful in combat. You get a bonus action to dash, disengage or hide each turn. You do sneak attack damage with advantage OR while an ally is engaged with an opponent within 5' of you. You dash up, sneak attack. Next turn disengage if you're in danger, otherwise keep sneak attacking. :) The numbers in 5e are not going to run away as you level. The game simply does not play like 1/2e in that regard. Optimization seems built in for every class. I have made a bunch of characters, I am not seeing sub-optimal choices (IMHO).

Also, is your DM using Inspiration? I hope so, it's actually really cool. The Personality Trait + Bond + Ideal + Flaw information you get from your background should be just as important in the game. There should be more to a session than "DPR" and fighting the monster of the moment. Again, IMHO. :-D

transtemporal

Explorer
We're not jumping to 20 off the bat, but we might get there eventually. We level quite slowly in this campaign so the urge to multiclass into something novel is strong, even if it looks more logical to stay the course.

I'm strongly leaning towards halfling rog15/ftr5 primarily crossbow, sharpshooter/skulker/crossbow expertise. Ftr5 for +2 ranged attacks and the 2nd attack. Probably rogue arcane trickster for ranged trap disarm (since our dm is fond of instakill traps with stoopid high DCs) and fighter champion for amusing 16d6+2d6+15 on a 19-20, although Eldritch knight probably makes more sense?

Although rog14/bard6(valor) also looks pretty tasty. Still get a second attack but more spell slots, more skills.

Remove ads