• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do I resolve competing spells?

Oofta

Legend
If it's specifically in regards to Charm Person, since it's the same spell one would cancel out the other since two effects can't stack.

I think that might be a question for sage advice. Generally speaking it's true - but something like charm person is a bit odd because the effect is that you consider a particular individual a friend. Considering someone else a friend isn't really the same effect. Maybe.

Not saying I disagree, just think it could be ruled both ways.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Priority goes to the PC who remembered the GM on March 4th. This is overruled only by pizza contributions.

If it's specifically in regards to Charm Person, since it's the same spell one would cancel out the other since two effects can't stack.
I'm pretty sure stacking regards numerical metagame effects. As such, multiple charms can exist side-by-side.

But charms can still be at odds if the casters demand opposing actions from the "friendly acquaintance." Caster 1, "go left!" Caster 2, "go right!" Per OP, same caster level and spell DC.

Brace yourselves, because I know no one wants to hear this:

Charisma checks are required here.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Brace yourselves, because I know no one wants to hear this:

Charisma checks are required here.

That is an excellent way to handle Charm Person.

Sure, you are a friendly acquaintance. I don't just blindly do what a friendly acquaintance says. I may have some extra trust that you don't mean any harm, is all. If I have to choose between two friendly acquaintances, which one is more convincing matters.

That would apply if the same person cast Charm more than once on the same target - the same spell can't make you an even better friend by casting it again.

But this doesn't seem to apply here. This is applying two different effects - making you the friendly acquaintance of both caster A and making you the friendly acquaintance of caster B.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
As others have pointed out, Charm isn't a conflict. It's quite mystifying that people would think it is way - you can be the dear friend of more than one person at once, you know!
That's just it, in my interpretation: Charm makes the person your BEST friend, of which you can only have one at a time.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Heck, Charm Person only makes you a "friendly acquaintance."

You may start to get issues with dueling Dominates. We could find ways to break that tie based on spell level it was cast at, or caster level. Or, you can simply say that if the target gets conflicting orders, it does nothing but defend and preserve itself for the round, and gets another saving throw against both spells.
I'll throw this in again: what's wrong with simply using timestamp order, where the later spell overwrites the earlier?

jgsugden

Legend
From the PHB Spellcasting chapter (the very end):
The effects of different spells add together while the durations of those spells overlap. The effects of the same spell cast multiple times don't combine, however. Instead, the most potent effect — such as the highest bonus — from those castings applies while their durations overlap, or the most recent effect applies if the castings are equally potent and their durations overlap. For example, if two clerics cast bless on the same target, that character gains the spell's benefit only once; he or she doesn't get to roll two bonus dice.

Casting Charm Person on someone already under the effects of Charm Person will result in the former casting being suppressed until the later casting ends, unless the first casting was done at a higher level.

If, however, someone cast Charm Person on a target and another person cast Charm Monster, both would be in effect.

dave2008

Legend
How would you resolve the situation that two casters - let us assume they are of same level and have got same spell DC for additional complexity -
target the same creature let us assume it fails the saves with e.g. a charm spell at the same time?

Which of the casters spell takes effect and how do you determine that?

If you decide to simply use initiative, e.g. even if there is a tie, you roll additionally until it is clear who hits first with his spell, does the second charm cancel the first?

What if it is different spell levels e.g. charm person and dominate?
Two step process:
  1. Higher cast spell wins. If it is the same spell level, got to #2
  2. Opposed Arcana check. The winner's spell takes effect and the loser loses their spell slot.

"Friendly" has specific meaning with regards to social interactions, as found on on pages 244-245 in the DMG. It's actually really strong (equivalent to a 10 point difference on a check from "indifferent" and a 20 point difference from "hostile", and it allows you to attempt to influence them in ways you couldn't influence an indifferent or hostile creature). The added Advantage on checks is just icing on top of that.

If you don't use that DMG system (I actually like it and pull it out occasionally when role-playing alone doesn't resolve PC attempts to influence someone), then I'd recommend interpreting "friendly acquaintance" as something more like "good friend" to get a similar effect.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads