• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do I resolve competing spells?

Coroc

Hero
How would you resolve the situation that two casters - let us assume they are of same level and have got same spell DC for additional complexity -
target the same creature let us assume it fails the saves with e.g. a charm spell at the same time?

Which of the casters spell takes effect and how do you determine that?

If you decide to simply use initiative, e.g. even if there is a tie, you roll additionally until it is clear who hits first with his spell, does the second charm cancel the first?

What if it is different spell levels e.g. charm person and dominate?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The way I'd do it is simple: higher level spells overwrite lower level spells; and the later spell overwrites the earlier if they're the same level. Lower level spells arriving after a higher level spell still work but Do Nothing until the higher-level spell goes away.

A somewhat ludicrous example: some poor peasant who is fated to never make a save is the subject of some big prophecy, and competing groups A, B, and C are trying to capture said peasant for their own ends. The numbers before each event are initiative counts.

Round 1:

19 - peasant is Charmed by Bard A.
17 - peasant is Dominated by Wizard B. (this overwrites the charm on 19)
14 - peasant is Charmed by Wizard C. (this has no effect yet as it can't trump the Dominate, but is still sitting on the peasant...)

End of round: peasant is Dominated by B but will be Charmed to C if the Dominate can be broken.

Round 2:

19 - peasant is again Charmed by Bard A. (this overwrites the charm from 14 last round but still can't beat the dominate, so it just sits there)
17 - wizard B maintains Dominate on peasant
16 - wizard B is killed by a Fighter from group A. (dominate ends, charm from 19 this round now takes effect)
14 - peasant is again Charmed by Wizard C. (this overwrites the charm from 19 this round)

End of round: peasant is Charmed to Wizard C. (and if Bard A is smart she'll use her next round action to Charm Wizard C...)

I've had to referee situations like this. The worst I ever had was a situation where the party had three different people with Charm and the enemy had two; and the party didn't get along well. They ended up in a charm circle, where A ch B ch C ch D ch E ch A; the circle only broke when someone killed one of the links. What a mess! :)

Oofta

Legend
In most cases, both spells take effect. About the only exception I can think of off the top of my head would be dominate. In that case I'd make it opposed persuasion or intimidation checks on the part of the caster. Or let the target decide. It's never come up.

NotAYakk

Legend
Charm isn't in confict. A creature can be charmed by 0, 1, or a million people. Being charmed by A and being charmed by B is a different effect.

Charm is "won't harm X and X has advantage on social checks" basically. For different X, this overlaps seamlessly.

Dominate can be in conflict. It can have two different courses of action it is commanded to do. Similarly, two casters can both take an action to take direct control.

Here, if two people are in direct control, I'd look at the wording; it says "doesn't do anything you don't allow it to do". So each can only make the dominated person do something the other permits with direct control.

WIthout direct control, the dominated person has two conflicting orders, and tries its best to do both. Hilarious results should occur.

Coroc

Hero

I've had to referee situations like this. The worst I ever had was a situation where the party had three different people with Charm and the enemy had two; and the party didn't get along well. They ended up in a charm circle, where A ch B ch C ch D ch E ch A; the circle only broke when someone killed one of the links. What a mess! :)

Holy .... A charm circle.

But your resolve of the situation seems in order.

As others have pointed out, Charm isn't a conflict. It's quite mystifying that people would think it is way - you can be the dear friend of more than one person at once, you know!

With Dominate I'd follow the approach of @NotAYakk - go with the wording of the spell, and yeah that's going to lead to hilarious results. Introducing some idea where one person gets control and the other doesn't is entirely extraneous to proceedings and unnecessary.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As others have pointed out, Charm isn't a conflict. It's quite mystifying that people would think it is way - you can be the dear friend of more than one person at once, you know!

Heck, Charm Person only makes you a "friendly acquaintance."

You may start to get issues with dueling Dominates. We could find ways to break that tie based on spell level it was cast at, or caster level. Or, you can simply say that if the target gets conflicting orders, it does nothing but defend and preserve itself for the round, and gets another saving throw against both spells.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
In most cases, both spells take effect. About the only exception I can think of off the top of my head would be dominate. In that case I'd make it opposed persuasion or intimidation checks on the part of the caster. Or let the target decide. It's never come up.
If it's specifically in regards to Charm Person, since it's the same spell one would cancel out the other since two effects can't stack.

Fallback option for general cases: have both caster roll spellcasting ability check, better roll takes effect.

(ie if two people are trying to mold the same earth, then they roll to see who gets control of the dirt. On a tie, no change as per general rules on tied contested ability checks.)

Remove ads