• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do Metamagic rods work?

mseds99

First Post
Is activating the rod a standard action and then casting the spell another standard action?

For a sorcerer or bard, is it still a full-round action, to cast a spell matamagiced by a rod?

For a cleric casting spontaniously, is it a full round action?

I'm realy confused by this and would appreciate any help. Thx.

Kraedin

First Post
It's a standard action to cast a spell modifed by a metamagic feat rod. The rod itself has not activation time.

I'm not sure about spontaneous casters, however.

kreynolds

First Post
Kraedin said:
I'm not sure about spontaneous casters, however.

I don't believe they effect the casting time of the spell at all. Your metamagic applications will, but not the rod. It's debatable though. Also, the casting time isn't necessarily a standard action. The casting time is whatever the original casting time was.

Last edited:

Shard O'Glase

First Post
poorly.

Um actually until you brought it up I just assumed they were used in conjunciotn with your spellcasting action, and in effect took no action. Now I'm not sure.

for a sorcerer and bard yes it is a full round action, I think it's dumb so I changed it but that's a house rule.

Clerics a standard action not full round.

I don't see anything one way or another. I think they would have specified if it took longer. Since the Rod lets you get past the penalties of casting the spell at a higher level, I'd say you can stretch it to make it a normal cast time.

mseds99

First Post
fair enough about casting time. I'll agree with you there. For wizards, do they have to memorize which spells are metamagiced by the rod when they select spells, as they would with a regular metamagic feat? Or can they use the rod at casting time?

kreynolds

First Post
mseds99 said:
fair enough about casting time. I'll agree with you there. For wizards, do they have to memorize which spells are metamagiced by the rod when they select spells, as they would with a regular metamagic feat? Or can they use the rod at casting time?

At casting time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads