• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do the druid and the cleric compare?

rfkannen

Villager
I was wondering, the druid and the cleric are both full wisdom based spell-casters with a lot of support spells, how do they compare in play?

I am especially wondering about land druids and the spell casting domains, as you would think they would play similarly,

What is each class better at? Why would you pick either one? How does each play?

Valetudo

Adventurer
Land druids are a bit weaker in a straight combat situation. I have a houserule where their spells known change into the area they are at with a long rest. I think clerics can be super nasty with some of their spells while still throwing out some nice healing, and their lower level spells stay usefull for the most part.

D

dco

Clerics are better fighters and healers, have more support skills and spells and some specialization against undead.
Druids have better spells for control, lots of conjurations and wild shape is really good for scouting and other things out of combat. Nature specialization.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I think this edition has done a good job with the cleric and druid creating casters that are similar, but different enough to have their own feel, Unlike the wizard and sorcerer on the arcane side of things. Both cleric and druid have things they can do outside of their spellcasting (channel divinity and wildshaping) and are quite versatile in what they can accomplish.

Cleric starts with a solid kit of support magic, with bits of strong offensive spells. Their playstyle will heavily depend on their choice of domain which will add a subtheme to their skillset. Some of the domains can turn a cleric into an offensive, combat oriented monster while others focus on bringing a bit of exploration and social powers into the mix. Overall I think the cleric is better than the druid in pure combat. With a cleric in the party it is very hard to actually die. But they lack utility to affect the other pillars of the game without domain support and even with an exploration focused domain are still a bit behind.

Druids get a bit less support magic for a more well rounded starting spell list. They can do a bit of healing, buffing and damage. But the big areas here that the cleric is lacking are area control spells and summoning. Spells like entangle or wall of stone can drastically change up how a combat plays out. Ensuring that groups of enemies are bogged down and can't do much to the party is often more efficient spell slot wise than trying to kill them with multiple blast effects. Summoning is also crazy powerful. Each creature you conjure deals damage, but also tanks damage and applies tactical pressure to the enemy. Conjure spells are some of the most powerful spells in 5e and the druid is the best at them. Downsides of the druid are that it lacks a consistent way to survive in melee and often it's offensive spells require more careful planning to get the full effect.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Still both solidly Tier 1. Can't go too far wrong being able to prep from your whole class list and then cast spontaneously, with effective cantrips for backup, /and/ meaningful class abilities above and beyond that.

I prefer the Druid, because the concept is clearer (and because I became a fan of the Druid, and by extension, Celtic Mythology, back in the 80s), and the 5e druid is finally a worthy successor to the 1e Druid (unlike everything in between). And, unlike 2e (with the CPH), the 5e Cleric's Domain choice just doesn't differentiate/customize one cleric or priesthood from another that dramatically, leaving the Druid the more interesting/flavorful choice.

Croesus

Adventurer
...Overall I think the cleric is better than the druid in pure combat.

...But the big areas here that the cleric is lacking are area control spells and summoning...Downsides of the druid are that it lacks a consistent way to survive in melee and often it's offensive spells require more careful planning to get the full effect.

These are good points. My experience has been that the druid is not a combat machine. Wild shape, even with Circle of the Moon, does not compare with the barbarian, fighter, paladin, and ranger for tanking or damage output. Druids can do some healing, but it's not their forte. Flexibility and utility are the druid's strengths. Control the battlefield, summon creatures to help, use wild shape to scout, use pass without trace to help the entire party get into/out of sticky situations...that's where the druid will shine.

schnee

First Post
Land Druids also have a bit more spellcasting staying power than a Cleric. They get spell recovery at short rest like Wizards. It's not huge, but it adds up. That balances their melee weakness compared to a Cleric.

The flavor is interesting and different though. Druids do stuff that feels like it's an extension of the natural world, where Clerics are distinctly supernatural. Like: a Druid buff makes someone run fast or the entire party walk through an area undetected. A Cleric buff adds temporary hit points, or shields someone from Demonic mind control. A Druid attack looks like nature gone crazy with sleet or hail, while a Cleric calls a literal pillar of fire down from the clear blue sky. And so on.

They play differently enough that you can play them back to back and not get bored.

Remove ads