How do you Build your Character?

sjmiller

Explorer
I do not really "build" a character. More often then not, the character evolves during creation. Here's what I do for a D&D game, as it is different for each game system.

First and foremost, I roll my attributes. This is important for me, as assigning values in D&D just doesn't feel right. That, however, is an entirely different thread.

Next, based on the attributes rolled I assign a race and class that feel appropriate for the attributes.

Next comes the purely mechanical part where the rest of the first level character is created (writing down saves, base attack bonus, rolling for starting money, etc.).

Then comes the descriptive section. I will often roll randomly for age, height and weight. After all this is done, I start thinking about a name. Working with the DM I will come up with some background and possible story hooks for the DM to use for future adventures. Finally equipment is purchased.

After all this is done I like to come up with some personally created visual item for the character. It could be a map of their home town, a family tree, a piece of heraldry, or something like that. Since I cannot draw well it is never a character portrait.

I then make sure the DM has a copy of everything, and we are good to go. I will sometimes pick out a specific miniature to use, if the DM uses them, but often I will just pick something that is visually distinct. After all, it is a game of imagination.

jensun

First Post
Out of curiosity, do any of you do background generation as a group? I mean, have the entire group sit down and start working out backgrounds that fit together and fit with the campaign?

I did this for my current campaign and it worked very, very well. I'm of the opinion that characters created in a vacuum, without any input from the other players, don't work as well.
We do this for every game and not just character creation but world and setting details as well. The initial material for our current game was 80% generated by the players (and one gamer friend).

Prisoner6

First Post
I like to come up with a simple idea that defines the character, and then add details to the concept. Once I have a solid concept, I start thinking class and race. Then I go back and create a more complete background, which includes some kind of family life. I'm personally frown upon the "has no family, has no friends" character type.

For example, I my hook might be "college dropout." I'd have to wiggle that idea around for the setting, but perhaps his parents tried to send him to wizard school and he just couldn't hack it. After wizard school - or maybe while he was still there - he found he had a knack for "acquiring things" that his school chums needed for their wizard studies, so I picture him as a rogue with some connections. Bingo. Character concept set. Time to roll stats. Great. Next we'll add some fluff about how one of the other kids at the school got jealous when my rogue stole his girlfriend. This rival wizard was particularly peeved that she left him for someone with no magical aptitude, and now holds a tremendous grudge.

Boom. Instant character.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I prefer to let the dice decide. If I roll an 18 int, I'll probably play a mage, a 17 str, and a fighter of some type (ranger, etc). If I'm lucky enough to roll both, a multiclass fighter/mage. The mystery of what the dice gods will grant me is part of the fun. And it's why I hate point buy systems.

Hussar

Legend
The games I've recently been involved in make generating character history a meaningful part of character creation (as in, it determines what s/he can do).

It's really been a boon compared to other games that let you 'loosey goosey' a character's history an all you get are "No family, no friends. Mysterious fellow who wears all black and doesn't talk to anyone cause I don't want the GM to screw me over if I go out on a limp here with a character history."

Okay so a little sarcastic but it has made player's I've seen never care about character history in one sitting become very interested in it. Especially when you have the rules of the game to 'back' that history up and help define it.

I can definitely see this. I cannot count the number of orphans I've seen players create, but, man, if those who want to decry D&D as evil ever needed ammo, they should take a look at some of the parental issues. :p

The whole antagonistic DM thing certainly didn't help.

Does anyone use Life Path creation systems? And, if so, can you point me in the direction? I like the idea, although, the only one I used was from Traveler and that was WAYYYY too long. I'm wondering if there are any life path chargen systems for fantasy games. I haven't found one.

In case you don't know what I mean, a lifepath chargen system is a set of tables, usually with some degree of randomness, that you consult for each set period (a year, a few years, whatever) of time to determine what the PC did before you start the campaign.

Thinking about it though, I'm not sure how well this would work for D&D - D&D PC's tend to be very young, and, with the xp system the way it is, it doesn't make too much sense for my first level fighter to have been a soldier for five years.

But, anyway, is there a system out there I could take a gander at?

jensun

First Post
Does anyone use Life Path creation systems? And, if so, can you point me in the direction? I like the idea, although, the only one I used was from Traveler and that was WAYYYY too long. I'm wondering if there are any life path chargen systems for fantasy games. I haven't found one.

If you like lifepath systems then take a look at Burning Wheel, its character creation system is an entire game in itself.

outsider

First Post
I'm typically create my characters mechanics first. Basically, I find an interesting mechanic to base my character around. Then, I picture what that mechanic looks like in character. Usually I'll come up with a couple of ways that it could look, and pick the one I like most. Then I ask myself what sort of person would do that sort of thing, and why they would do it. I keep working backwards from there, figuring out how they obtained that ability, what they were like before they had it, etc.

I pick only a couple major personality traits before I start playing. Sometimes I find a personality isn't as fun in play as it is on paper, so I don't want to get too tied down with personality quirks and backgrounds, allowing me to change things up to make it more fun if neccessary. Normally I wouldn't have a fully fleshed out background until 5 or so sessions into the game, when I'm comfortable with the character.

I know very little about the Binder class, but from what I gather, there's a "forbidden knowledge" feel to it. Curiousity is a big trait for gnomes, so I'd work from that angle. This gnome is somebody that is intensely curious, curious enough to defy the dictates of the clerics in pursuit of knowledge. Perhaps he has become resentful of them and even the gods themselves for hiding this knowledge from mortals. Does he believe(perhaps mistakenly, perhaps not) that he can use this power for good without being corrupted? Given that he's basically defying the gods on a day to day basis, one of his main traits should be a disrespect(maybe even contempt?) for authority.

Anyways, that's about how I'd do it. Normally I'd pick something much more specific than race and class to start from, but I know nothing about the binder other than a blurb on it from Wikipedia.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In case you don't know what I mean, a lifepath chargen system is a set of tables, usually with some degree of randomness, that you consult for each set period (a year, a few years, whatever) of time to determine what the PC did before you start the campaign.

Thinking about it though, I'm not sure how well this would work for D&D - D&D PC's tend to be very young, and, with the xp system the way it is, it doesn't make too much sense for my first level fighter to have been a soldier for five years.

All I've got is a previous profession table - you roll to see what your other occupation is or was before/alongside adventuring - which I can always shoot over to you if you like, just tell me where. My Saturday DM has (or had) a fairly elaborate table for family, but I've never used it. Determining hometown etc. is of course going to be completely campaign-dependent so there won't be anything anywhere for that.

Most of the time, though, if someone asks about character history I just pull out a map, put my improvising wings on and start flapping. :) And if they're playing an Elf and want to know everything it's done there had better be beer involved or it ain't happening...

Lanefan

Hussar

Legend
LOL Lanefan.

I forgot about that table in the 1e rules. It's a good start, but, something a bit meatier might better.

I wonder if a system where you start at like say, 9 years old, then a mini game where you send your fledgeling PC to various life path tables and wind up with a 1st level character at the end exists.

You could focus it and make sure you get the class you want, or all the random elements on the table to create your character.

Hrm.... I'd like to see something like that.

Hussar

Legend
Google has not let me down. Did a bit of hunting and stumbled across this site which has an online random generator and a nice series of tables. It's pretty quick and dirty, but, certainly something you could build on.

BTW, I did talk about another chargen system a while ago using Magic cards. I did it for my current campaign and it was fantastic. My players, a year later, are still regularly referencing their backgrounds almost every session.

Reading up a bit more about life path systems, it occurs to me that this is an excellent way to ground your pc's in a given setting. If you are doing a new setting, creating a lifepath system of tables could be a really good way to impart setting knowledge on the players without info dumping. Each step in the life path system should be grounded heavily in the setting and setting elements explained.

So, if you were doing an Eberron lifepath, you could talk about what the PC did during the war, how the war affected the character and how has the peace also affected him or her. Tie in the Houses and you have a slick way to make Eberron characters.

Last edited:

Remove ads