• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you gain an SR?

Magic Rub

First Post
How can a PC get spell resistance? I'm not talking the temporary kind you can get from some spells. But full fledged permanent spell resistance. This would be in regards to gaining SR for an existing character (15th Lvl elf wizard).

As reference points please use only official WoTC books such as, the core books, Core expansion books (Vile darkness, PsiHB, MotP ect...) , class splat books, all the Forgotten realms books. Anything else is inadmissible in the campaign world I play in.

Is there a feat, prestige class, or template that will grant it?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Take the shifter PrC. Greater wildshape allows to use all extraordinary abilities of the chosen form (e.g. drow), and SR is extraordinary, AFAIK.

For epic druids, use dragon or magical beast shape. The char would gain all EX and SU abilities (e.g. a dragon's breath...).

Of course, it would help only while wildshaped. But these classes and abilities are the only ones I know of that could provide SR.

EDIT: clarification

Last edited:

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Wish: "I wish next time I die and am reincarnated, I come back as a svirfneblin."

Stab self in throat.

Friendly neighborhood druid casts reincarnate on you.

Boo-yah!

Daniel

jlhorner1974

First Post
SR is too powerful to just be granted from a feat. If it were a feat, just about everyone would have SR.

Monks get SR at 13th level. The Contemplative PrC also grants it, and I believe the Forsaker PrC does too.

By far, the easiest way though to get SR is from a magical item. There are several in the DMG that grant SR. A Scarab of Protection gives SR 15 (38,000 gp, but this item may not last forever). A Robe of the Archmagi gives you SR 17 (75,000 gp), plus some other nice stuff. A Mantle of Spell Resistance gives you SR 21 (90,000 gp). All of these are well within the means of a 15th level character.

And there are also armor enchantments that give you SR, not that it would help your wizard much. SR 13 is a +2 equivalent, SR 15 is +3, SR 17 is +4, and SR 19 is +5.

Jason.

RedSwan78

First Post
Pielorinho said:
Wish: "I wish next time I die and am reincarnated, I come back as a svirfneblin."

Stab self in throat.

Friendly neighborhood druid casts reincarnate on you.

Boo-yah!

Daniel

Now if THAT isn't hard-core, I dunno what is.. LOL!

(I'm pretty sure you meant it as a joke, because there's some big holes in that wish ;) )

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
RedSwan78 said:
(I'm pretty sure you meant it as a joke, because there's some big holes in that wish ;) )

Depends on how your DMs run "wish." I'm of the no-monkey's-paw school of wishes, for the most part, and I'd allow that wish no problem. I'd probably divide the benefits of svirfneblinosity into three levels, and only give the PC the first level when they were reincarnated; to become a full svirf, they'd need to take two additional levels of it. And SR, natch, would be at the third level.

But otherwise, I'd be fine with it. If the wizard's that hard core, more power to them.

Daniel

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads