• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you handle players that ruins the game for everyone else?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Talk to the problem player away-from-table, to seek out a resolution.

Here is another thought: talk to the other players. Find out if they are upset, willing to tolerate, &c.
Suggest that you as DM can set up a situation where the group WILL kick in the front door, rather than make elaborate plans, as a chance to give this other player what he seems to want.

If they go for it, carry the plan through. Afterwards privately ask the problem player what he thought of the night's play. At a subsequent date you can gather the group and discuss together. I hope that this one guy will chill out a bit if he realizes that the group is willing to 'take turns' on play style.

If the issue is fully aired and work-together proposals offered but refused (in the form of an argument or in the form of in-play disruption) THEN you may have to let the individual go.

JonnyP71

Explorer
Then you need to be a little firmer with him, it's fine giving players freedom, but they must accept that group enjoyment is more important than that of any single individual - and the DM is part of that group, in fact the DM is the most important part of the group.

If he's not willing to show a bit of courtesy towards the other players and stop spoiling the game for them, then I'm afraid he probably has to go.

jasper

Rotten DM
Following JonnyP71 comment. It took me 20 years to learn this. DON'T PLAY WITH GOOBERS!
1. Talk with the goober.
2. If the goober does not change his play style, and no social reason * to let the goober stay; kick him to the door.

* Spouse of friend. Spouse. Person who drives you to the game. Mommy making you let goober play.
Note best friend is not an social reason.

pogre

Legend
Every once in a while I run a game with a friends' son as a player. He likes to be "whacky" and say and do crazy things. I have learned when he says something that undermines the game I just say 'your PC does not say that.' It allows us to continue through his outbursts.

Oy, that’s problematic, indeed. My technique for dealing with those sorts of moments is to tell the group that I need a vote: ”Show of hands, are you sneaking around to assassinate the guards, or are you walking up to them and saying hello?” It’s a group game, there’s nothing wrong with calling for group consensus on certain decisions.

In my experience, players that “like to see things happen” most likely mean “like to see the game center around their character and what they’re doing.” It’s a way of yoinking the spotlight and trying to control the direction of the game, rather than sharing and doing so communally.

When I talk to the player, he says that he "likes when things happens". So I guess he's aware...

S

Sunseeker

I've tried in-character punishment, but the player doesn't seem to care.

I can see that the other players are annoyed, but no one ever says anything. And also, I have this personal rule, not to interfere with how my players play their characters. But maybe I have to change that...

Telling Joe he is annoying Sue is not telling Joe that he is playing his character wrong. It's telling a real life human being that he is annoying other real life human beings and making it difficult for the real life human being-powered adventure at your table to be fun and enjoyable.

A DM-enforced, top-down approach to character punishment is not going to work. You need Sue's PC and Bob's PC and Frank's PC to all agree that Joe's PC has got to go.

S

Sunseeker

Oy, that’s problematic, indeed. My technique for dealing with those sorts of moments is to tell the group that I need a vote: ”Show of hands, are you sneaking around to assassinate the guards, or are you walking up to them and saying hello?” It’s a group game, there’s nothing wrong with calling for group consensus on certain decisions.

In my experience, players that “like to see things happen” most likely mean “like to see the game center around their character and what they’re doing.” It’s a way of yoinking the spotlight and trying to control the direction of the game, rather than sharing and doing so communally.

I agree with this. People who "like the reaction" are simply real-life trolls. They crave attention and have found the best way to get attention centered on them is to piss people off.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
How do you handle players that always ruin the game for everyone else?

Example:
The players make a plan to sneak up to a fort and kill the guards one by one. In takes about 15 minutes of discussion. But when everyone stealthily approaches, one player just starts screaming "Hello!".
Chaotic player. Love it!

Of course, the guards then spiral on the one who yelled out while the rest of the party fade back into the woods. Chaotic player's character is either captured (thus becoming a potential plot point) or killed*; either way that player is rolling up a new character in the meantime. You'll know you have a problem if the new character does the same sort of thing later, but until then just hit the curveball and have the guards react as they normally would.

* - either by the guards or the party, whichever...

shidaku said:
Stab the annoying character in the back and claim you saw him trying to break in. Or hamstring him and leave him there till the guards show up.

Sometimes in-character punishment can clear up the problem, when the player realizes people aren't going to put up with their actions just because they're a player at the table, sometimes they stop.
Yep. Seen this many times, I have. And when playing with a long-time crew, sometimes the roles might be reversed in the next adventure when playing different characters. :)

Freddy K. said:
I can see that the other players are annoyed, but no one ever says anything. And also, I have this personal rule, not to interfere with how my players play their characters. But maybe I have to change that...
Don't change a thing! Let them do what they do, while you have the game world react naturally and logically to what they do. Interfering with how they play their characters never ends well for anyone.

And if they want to spend the session fighting each other - as long as it stays in character! - sit back and enjoy the show. :)

cmad1977 said:
If he knows what he’s doing annoys/frustrates the other players and doesn’t change or care... GTFO. Player are a dime a dozen.
In some situations new players are easy to come by, in others not so much. Also, sometimes you're better off with the problem you know than the problem you don't know.

Lanefan

Bad Ape

First Post
I like the player and doesn't want him to leave the game, not if it's really necessary.
But I've got a lot of good advice from you guys that I will try. Thanks!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads