• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you leave a gaming group?

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
GoldenEagle said:
Now I am sensitive to not only the things I don't like, but I let him know (by email usually) about all the things I do like about the game.
So many players don't do this...

The bulk of my GM burnouts have come from feeling the players weren't having fun, and thus me losing my own enjoyment over time.

In a number of these cases, at some later point in time I have overhead some of them telling stories about the game.

If they'd bothered to tell me those things when I was I running it, they'd still be playing it...

deadboydex

Explorer
dreaded_beast said:
Should I let them or the DM know I plan to quit before next session starts, that night before the session, or after the session is over for the night?

The high road would be to talk to the DM beforehand and work out a way for your PC to exit the game gracefully, if not heroically.

The middle road would just be to say something along the lines of "something's come up and I can't play any more."

Bloodsparrow

First Post
I agree with Pirate Cat.

If would make you very unhappy to go to one last session, or if you don't think you can make it through another session without unloading on the people that upset you, then don't go. But do give the DM plenty of notice along with a calmly and rationally composed explanation.

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
life is too short to play crappy D&D.

let the DM know you aren't going to make it....ever again. and then give him some reasons. tell him you are not looking for a rebuttal. you've had enough.

bolen

First Post
I bet there are 50 ways to do this

"Hop on a bus, Gus
make a new plan, Stan
no need to be coy, Roy
just drop of the key, Lee"

You get the idea :D

mmadsen

First Post
bolen said:
I bet there are 50 ways to do this

"Hop on a bus, Gus
make a new plan, Stan
no need to be coy, Roy
just drop of the key, Lee"

You get the idea :D
Ah, bolen, Psion beat you too it. Beat me too... ;)

fusangite

First Post
My usual response when people ask social questions disguised as gaming questions is to ask how people would deal with a similar situation in a regular poker game, TV viewing night or book club.

Wormwood's list of excuses is just great. Be polite and take the high road and, by taking the high road, I mean lie.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hr. I must be the odd man out here. I generally don't get upset about a person leaving my game. But if they jump ship because they've got some issue with what's happening, and they don't give me any chance to fix it, then I get peeved.

Given that you feel that you may want to lie about why, I expect you haven't tried to address the difficulties before this. Why not?

Treebore

First Post
Umbran said:
Hr. I must be the odd man out here. I generally don't get upset about a person leaving my game. But if they jump ship because they've got some issue with what's happening, and they don't give me any chance to fix it, then I get peeved.

Given that you feel that you may want to lie about why, I expect you haven't tried to address the difficulties before this. Why not?

Similiar thing here. If I am the DM I would appreciate a chance to address any problems before it comes to your leaving. If I am not able to fix the problems, your welcome to leave.

Actually, you want to leave because i don't want you there, that is why I didn't "fix" the problem. Your leaving has been my plan all along, glad you finally got the message.

Seriously, go ahead and leave. Just don't be surprised if you find out they were glad you left. It used to amaze me when a player I tolerated would finally quit playing and then I would find out the rest of the players couldn't stand them either. They just tolerated him because they thought I liked them (the player who left)! Go ahead and quit, you'll probably all be happier.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads