How do you like to handle dungeon mapping?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Spatial awareness isn't a strong suit for all people.

Regardless, while there could be some merit to the hypothesis, I felt precise player mapping was a chore long before the advent of GPS and smart phones. Applying discrete distances and precise measurements relative to imaginary elements that are wholly reliant upon the consistent degree of the DM's ability to deliver clear, concise, and accurate descriptions while staying constantly mindful of the mapper's ability to correctly translate that verbal information to paper is not how I want to spend my time at the table.

Same here. We didn't like player mapping long before GPS and smart phones. And with current game mechanics I just don't think it's necessary.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
We used to map them out but these days, unless the objective is to map the dungeon, I simply hand them sections of the map.

I make them with Adobe Illustrator and use the Windows Snipping tool to select the areas I wish to share, hiding information such as monster location or traps by hiding the appropriate layer.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I have a terrible sense of direction. It's gotten to the point where my car just lets out an exasperated sigh when I screw up following its explicit driving directions.

Cars are fast. On foot,
lost is something I can't find.
Try dead reckoning.

the Jester

Legend
Dungeon mapping can be a challenge (relevant comic for reference). I've taken to handing players cut up bits of map as they go, allowing them to piece it back together with tape. It has the added advantage that they can draw out dungeon rooms while I prep the other parts of combat, but you lose that old school hand-drawn feeling of mapping.

How do you guys handle in-game cartography?

Smart players draw maps based on my descriptions, at least when they're in big dungeons. Most of the rest of them learn valuable lessons and smarten up, or they die.

But no, I don't do the work for the players. Rarely, they might find an old map or old set of maps as treasure, but most of the time, they are on their own when it comes to figuring out where to go. Also, I use "right" and "left" instead of "west" and "east" when describing things, so it's easy for pcs to get turned around if they aren't paying attention. You want cardinal directions, bring a compass or take the Keen Mind feat. Likewise, don't ask me if you've been there before- if you do, your answer is almost certainly going to be, "You're not sure," unless something there is a dead giveaway ("Oh, it's my wizard mark from earlier").

Remove ads