D&D 5E [+] How do you make 5E more challenging?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The plus [+] is to prevent arguments about whether 5E is challenging enough RAW. This thread is about discussing ways to make 5E more challenging for the PCs. Arguing that it's challenging enough by default is off topic.

Okay, so 5E isn't challenging enough and you want to make it more challenging for the PCs. What do you do?

The low-hanging fruit is 1) raise the DCs for checks, and; 2) throw more monsters at the PCs.

Cool. Got it. What else?

Some common advice is to not play the monsters as dumb and actually use tactics in fights against the PCs. There's a blog that became a series of books about just that, The Monsters Know What They're Doing. It's specifically written with 5E in mind. It talks about small unit tactics and the various monsters of 5E.

Great. So what else?

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Either use the Gritty Realism rest rules where a long rest takes a week and a short rest takes a day, or this 5e "Safe Haven" rest variant where you need to rest in a safe place (town, inn, etc) for two consecutive nights to get a long rest.

I had the opportunity to try Gritty Realism out with one of my groups- they got used to it and I love it. Decoupling recovery/rests from sleep was my favorite part; it takes a week for a long rest? Great, downtime activities. Some players engage with them, others don't, but usually they all have something to do whether it's research or trying to find a market for magic items etc.

The week long rest means that time will pass in the world, during the duration of the campaign- that's nice too.

OB1

Jedi Master
I've stopped dropping characters unconscious at 0HP and instead give them the dazed condition (1 action or bonus action, no reaction, can't concentrate). Condition remains until you have 1 or More HP and pass a DC19 Con Save at the start of your turn (lesser restoration or a short rest also removes the condition if above 0HP). Implemented about a year ago and it's made combat more tense (w/o leading to death spiral) and challenging, and also leads to rounds where dealing with dazed party members becomes a huge priority.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
In my current game:

Tossed out multiple saves. You fail that flesh to stone spell save? You failed.
If you are KOed in battle you are out until the battle is over. A cure spell just keeps you from dying.
No death saves. Changed to Shadowdarks D4 plus Con bonus = Rounds until you bleed out if KOed

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
"Roll vs. AC, then subtract hit points" is fine and all, but it can get repetitive. I like to find more interesting ways to challenge the characters. In the last couple of gaming sessions, I've used:
  • Weapons that inflict exhaustion levels instead of hit point damage.
  • Traps that end one or more of a character's magic item attunements on a failed save.
  • Intelligent monsters will wear armor, use shields, use healing portions and scrolls, and throw alchemical grenades.
  • Lair actions for all rooms of a monster lair, not just the "grand finale" arena.
  • I like to give monsters a Feat if they're CR4 and above. Sentinel and War Caster always make my players sit up straight and pay attention.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Besides the rest variants I mentioned above:

(5e) Exhausting wounds: If reduced to zero hitpoints a character must succeed on a Constitution save or gain a level of exhaustion. DC is half the damage dealt by the attack, minimum DC 10.
Players actively avoid getting knocked down repeatedly because they don't want exhaustion (A5e has automatic fatigue for this 😍)

I use A5e's rule for Massive Damage in my 5e game as well.
Use A5e monsters, and/or other 3pp monsters. They're interesting and threatening.

Most of my games are A5e- the balance changes to items, spells, and feats are great and close up some big "exploits," thus making the game more difficult.

ezo

I cast invisibility
1. House-rule it to Hell.

Done. ;)

Ok, ok, a bit more I guess...

1a. Non-proficiency is disadvantage (this is for everything in which proficiency could be applied, inlcuding SAVES). Expertise (and other double your proficiency bonus) is advantage.
1b. Roll ability scores in order. Or use the standard array if you don't like the results. The array can be arranged to taste.
1c. Remove racial ASI traits completely.
1d. Cap ability scores at 18.
1e. Instead of adding CON mod to HP at every level, you add ALL your ability modifiers at 1st level. You add only HD at later levels. If an ability modifier increases/decreases (permanently, attuned items do not count), adjust HP as well.
1f. Remove darkvision from over half (or more!) the races that get it.
1g. Make rests longer (minimum 24 hours for long, 3 hours for short).
1h. Long rests do not restore hit points, you must spend Hit Dice (apply Con modifier!).
1i. You gain a level of exhaustion at 0 hit points.
1j. Each round at 0 hit points you make a death save until stable or dead: DC 15 CON check. Roll 20+ (include modifiers) and you are stable, fail and you die, natural 20 includes conscious and you can spend HD to gain temporary hp (adrenaline rush baby!).
1k. Reduce spell casting progression and number of spell slots. Full casters max out at 6th level spells, about 3 levels per spell level increase. Adjust half- and third-casters appropriately.
1l. Remove spell cantrip damage scaling.
1m. Healing spells and features provide temporary hit points. Actual hit points are only restored by rest. Heal is the only exception.
1n. Remove multiclassing and feats.
1o. Use and enforce encumbrance.
1z. oh, I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting....

Of course then there are the other elements to encounters that make them more challenging, like putting them on the clock, hazardous terrain, foes that harass the PCs instead of front on fights all the time, etc.

I guess that is good for a start. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads