• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do you make a 'Soldier' interesting?

So. I sort of have a problem. My character is basically a set of Stats with a high AC, and I would like to make her more interesting. Other than having a background as being a 'Soldier' who served in an 'Orc Battalion', she is what you would call "the normal soldier" in that she's about 'Duty', is 'Brave', 'completely sane' and 'practical'. and all of those factors are what other players just take for granted.

It's weird playing her because she's the ideal tank, people go "OMG OMG I don't want to tank", I do all of the frontline stuff (as in, I tank everything, e.g. 8v1) and then when I ask people if they think Human is a good character, they're like "I don't know" even though I literally have my character standing at deaths door every game for their sake. . .

Edit: Just saying. I'm loving the input so far. I feel that I'm both getting a better idea of my character as well as how she could be fleshed out. So thank you.

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Wow. Sounds like you have a fun group to play with :).

In terms of your character, you could start by examining WHY she does what she does. What does she put her life on the line repeatedly? Does she feel guilty about hiding from danger at some point in her past, which led to the death of a mentor/loved one? Was she small and weak growing up and feels she has something to prove? Does she feel, for some reason, beholden to the others, or like her life is worth less than theirs? Is she just sworn to defend anyone weaker than herself? If so, why? And to whom did she make the oath?

Questions like those could at least get you started.

What's her Flaw?

Can that be worked to draw other players into taking her less for granted?

Her flaw is "I am dogmatic in my thoughts and philosophy". It really just means that she acts a certain way and isn't likely to turn her allies in for commiting evil deeds . . . She's kind of a "yes man".
She also has a slight leg injury so she has to roll twice on "not falling off of your horse saving throws".

Wow. Sounds like you have a fun group to play with :).

In terms of your character, you could start by examining WHY she does what she does. What does she put her life on the line repeatedly? Does she feel guilty about hiding from danger at some point in her past, which led to the death of a mentor/loved one? Was she small and weak growing up and feels she has something to prove? Does she feel, for some reason, beholden to the others, or like her life is worth less than theirs? Is she just sworn to defend anyone weaker than herself? If so, why? And to whom did she make the oath?

Questions like those could at least get you started.

"What does she put her life on the line repeatedly?" - It's kind of her Job. She has good armour, a good shield and she's a soldier by trade.

"Does she feel guilty about hiding from danger at some point in her past, which led to the death of a mentor/loved one?" - Not really. She does however wonder why she even became a Soldier in the first place though as the allies she fights by have far greater 'power' than her. I guess you could say that she isn't quite clear on why she is valuable.

"was she small and weak growing up and feels she has something to prove?" - Not really though the people in her home country often felt disapointed after meeting her as they expected more from 'The Human of the Orc Army'.

"Does she feel, for some reason, beholden to the others, or like her life is worth less than theirs?" - Perhaps. She believes her reason for fighting is because she is getting paid to work but she doesn't understand why she is in the position she is in. Afterall, she's not some sort of battlemaster. She's just a fighter amonst wizards, warlocks and clerics.

"Is she just sworn to defend anyone weaker than herself? If so, why? And to whom did she make the oath?" - She is committed to doing her best . . . she's often the first to step into battle or to try and save people. As for some sort of Oath . . She sees being a soldier and her duty as a way of life. She isn't exactly part of an army right now either so she's like very sturdy fodder for a bunch of people she doesn't know . . .

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
So. I sort of have a problem. My character is basically a set of Stats with a high AC, and I would like to make her more interesting. Other than having a background as being a 'Soldier' who served in an 'Orc Battalion', she is what you would call "the normal soldier" in that she's about 'Duty', is 'Brave', 'completely sane' and 'practical'. and all of those factors are what other players just take for granted.

It's weird playing her because she's the ideal tank, people go "OMG OMG I don't want to tank", I do all of the frontline stuff (as in, I tank everything, e.g. 8v1) and then when I ask people if they think Human is a good character, they're like "I don't know" even though I literally have my character standing at deaths door every game for their sake. . .
Maybe they are having a hard time figuring out what you are trying to ask.

Tell us a little bit about your/her backstory:
- Why are you an ex-Soldier? What happened to the rest of your unit? Were you the sole survivor of Somebody's Last Stand? Did you leave the battlefield just before the fighting started because you had orders to go somewhere else? Were you drummed out for too many drunk-and-disorderly's? Are you of military age / older / too young?
- Why did you join the unit? What kind of unit was it? Local self-defense militia =/= mercenary battalion =/= feudal levy. Were you running away from home? Proving you were a competent adult? Teenage thrill of Adventure? Getting away from an unwanted marriage (ancient cliché I know)? Seeking revenge for a previous loss / injury? Protecting house / home / loved ones?
- Are you a local to the adventure area? Does the general public know you, by name or by reputation or by Bardic tale? Are you visibly not from around here? Can you blend in easily with the great masses?
- Is your character an Orc or a Human (or both: Half-orc?) or some other race? Did you pick the race for mechanical advantage - in which case you can fluff it as something else - or did you pick the race first and the mechanics came second?
- How old are you? My Ancients Paladin is 40 and has gotten into a duel with a jerk noble teenager and cried out "Who's your daddy! You're gonna get a whippin'!" At age 60 you can be "a tough old bird" who offers advice and life lessons whether wanted or not. At age 20 you can be the Tank because you are young and heading towards your physical peak and think you are ten feet tall and bulletproof.

S

Sunseeker

Develop your own ideas of "law" and "duty" and "justice" that are at least somewhat at odds with the ruling government or common practice.

You like to "tank" so be chivalrous. Open doors for men. Pull out charis for them. Intervene in the defense of others for no reason other than you want to be helpful.

Decide what would make you not do those things for people.

Remove ads