hey woodelf.. did you read my post on page 4, i did it for you =D

later gents

-jason

woodelf

First Post
einsamste said:
arent yall glad i reopened this thread with my post.. *laughs*
hey woodelf.. did you read my post on page 4, i did it for you =D
yeah--nothing to say. At least two people have no shot my theory full of counter-examples, so...? <shrug>

Turjan said:
I hope you'll have the equivalent of the town of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch in your campaign ;).

Edit: Even the browser fails to treat it as a single word ;).
I was very very tempted to. In fact, I'm still tempted...the players are going to hate me so much. Thank you, Turjan, you rock. :cool:

And on topic. Drow. I pronounce it Drow. Either that, or "the crossbow bolt shoots from the shadows and hits you in the chest"

jester47

First Post
Someone should do a search for "drow" and "dictionary" as I remember someone asking what specific dictionary Gary got the pronunciation out of.

It was some dictionary from the 30s IIR. We could then look up the dictionary and get a scan of the correct way to pronounce the word.

Or we could just leave it and have fun with the prow/crow argument.

Aaron.

hrafnagud said:
In twenty years of gaming, I never once heard 'Drow' as in 'go.' I must admit, it does sound more infused with doom as Dro, and almost wish I'd thought of it all those years ago. Alas, for me there is no changing it now. When possible (as in this case), I defer to a good dictionary.
The only dictionary I've ever seen it in had it as an alternate spelling of 'trow', an Orkney Islands bit of folkoric creature similar to a goblin. And it was pronounced like dro.

If you have another dictionary to defer to, I'd love to see it.

hrafnagud

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
If you have another dictionary to defer to, I'd love to see it.

Last time I saw this discussion, I took the initiative to look it up in the OED, lest I'd been pronouncing it wrong all these years. My choice to pronounce the word 'Drow' as in 'cow' was totally uninformed. That's just how it seemed to me at the time. As per the OED, it is in fact 'Drow' as in 'Cow.' Sadly I don't have access to it anymore, or I would be thrilled to post the entry. Note this was the complete online academic version; I don't know if the word is in the abridged edition or not. Surely someone out there has access, or better yet a full set at home?

Cyberhawk

Community Supporter
I'm definately in the Drow as 'go' mainly becuase the first thing I thought of when I saw it was 'row', 'crow' or 'grow'. In my gaming group that's how we all said it.

Then I moved to the Northeast and heard the Drow as 'how'. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. It just sounds horribly wrong. And from some of the posts in this thread it seems that for the Drow/how crowd they feel the same way about my pronounciation ;)

For the most part I just put it down to regional variations, such as Tomato and Aunt. And if it's an issue I switch to saying Dark Elf. :cool:

Samuel Leming

First Post
In my game there are two factions of drow. The drou and the droe. Whenever they encounter each other they argue about silly trivial useless topics until violence erupts upon the speaking of the one word you must never utter to a drow: Moooooooo! :)

Sam

einsamste

First Post
woodelf said:
yeah--nothing to say. At least two people have no shot my theory full of counter-examples, so...? <shrug>

ah.. i wasnt trying to prove anything or correct you. you just asked if their was anyone that was old school that called it that.. and im one of them so i spoke up =)
then just mentioned (the most important factor) thats its not important what you call it.
the really funny thing here is ive been writing a new book to publish and it has drow in it.... i cant wait till someone interviews me and i call it 'drow' like 'grow' and stir some people up. lol. *grins* man im so evil. >=D
too fun.
;)

Thanee

First Post
woodelf said:
Why? Just think of scimitar or science.
True enough. :)

Maybe it because of the y as in sky... :D

So, scythe is spoken pretty much like size then?

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Remove ads