Votes: 395 78.4%
  • Both ways

Votes: 23 4.6%
  • Neither way

Votes: 5 1.0%

Turjan

Explorer
Thanee said:
So, scythe is spoken pretty much like size then?

Well, with a "th" instead of the "z", yes. A second possibility is to speak it like "sigh", with a mute "-the". Both versions are okay.

Thanee said:
So, scythe is spoken pretty much like size then?
saĭð.

Although that's potentially confusing because ai in English is often pronounced like ei in the International Phonetic Alphabet. Sometimes I wish we all just spelled with the phonetic alphabet! :D

einsamste

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
saĭð.

Although that's potentially confusing because ai in English is often pronounced like ei in the International Phonetic Alphabet. Sometimes I wish we all just spelled with the phonetic alphabet! :D

always said it as 'sigh' here. often wondered about that one but never bothered to look it up. paladin i always said as 'pal (like friend) a din' instead of pah lad in. oh.. another one.. shaman. shah man or shay min. haha. never ran into problems with that until everquest. speaking of that game.. sow (spirit of wolf).. like female pig or like sew. boy.. this could just go on forever huh. lol

einsamste

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
saĭð.

always said it as 'sigh' here. often wondered about that one but never bothered to look it up. paladin i always said as 'pal (like friend) a din' instead of pah lad in. oh.. another one.. shaman. shah man or shay min. haha. never ran into problems with that until everquest. speaking of that game.. sow (spirit of wolf).. like female pig or like sew. boy.. this could just go on forever huh. lol. i spoke those like pal ah din, shay min, and sew (like drow. lol)
the problem of course arises in someone reading a word without hearing it from anyone else. however. as with all the rest, they are all correct if the word is represented to getting the point across.

Last edited:

Turjan

Explorer
einsamste said:
always said it as 'sigh' here.

I prefer this pronunciation, as it comprises a poetic aspect. "He killed his victim with a scythe" pronounced as "sigh" gives the whole process a remorseful note :D;).

I may be a bit confused here, but...

Prononucing 'scythe' as sigh? I'm not sure I understand that...I've always pronounced it more like 'sigh-th'. I may just be misinterpreting other posters, though, as its tough to describe pronunciation accurately.

But if you do pronounce it as 'sigh', then what about a sai? THAT I pronounced exactly like 'sigh'. Wouldn't having both scythe and sai the same make it a bit...well, confusing? :)

I've never heard of scythe being pronounced with a silent [th] and according to my dictionary, it would be incorrect to do so.

Really, these words aren't controversial if you can just look them up. A lot of people may pronounce words incorrectly, but they're still clearly doing it incorrectly.

Last edited:

Turjan

Explorer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:

Prononucing 'scythe' as sigh?

Perhaps you have a look at this entry in the Merriam-Webster. It comes with voice files for both pronunciations, so there's not much of a mystery to it ;).

Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
But if you do pronounce it as 'sigh', then what about a sai?

I might be wrong, but I pronounce this differently from "sigh". I pronounce both vowels separately so that you will hear a definite "a" and a definite "i", but but have them both gliding into each other in the middle. The main difference is the clear "a" (pronounced like an "a" in Italian, French or German ;)).

einsamste

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
I've never heard of scythe being pronounced with a silent [th] and according to my dictionary, it would be incorrect to do so.

Really, these words aren't controversial if you can just look them up. A lot of people may pronounce words incorrectly, but they're still clearly doing it incorrectly.

heh my dictionary says both 'sigh th' and 'sigh' =) ouch. lol. quite clearly huh *grins* ah... this place is more fun than a sack of dead cats im telling ya.

Last edited:

woodelf

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:

Prononucing 'scythe' as sigh? I'm not sure I understand that...I've always pronounced it more like 'sigh-th'. I may just be misinterpreting other posters, though, as its tough to describe pronunciation accurately.

But if you do pronounce it as 'sigh', then what about a sai? THAT I pronounced exactly like 'sigh'. Wouldn't having both scythe and sai the same make it a bit...well, confusing? :)
Not really. You pronounce the latter "baton" if trying to contrast it with "scythe"; and the former is pronounced "kusari-gama" when you're trying to distinguish it from "sai". If you're in a setting that has scythes, you don't have sais, and vice versa, so it's never come up. ;) [yes, i probably picked the wrong pseudo-japanese weapon name; i didn't feel like digging a book out and i think i got my point across.]

Seriously, though, that's not half so much of a pain as old D&D which expected us to distinguish between "demon" and "daemon" in spoken transmission. [For the uninitiated, while their etymologies and meanings are fairly distinct, their pronunciations, at least in English, are identical. (Yes, i'm aware that the Latin pronunciation of "daemon" is quite distinct.)]

Remove ads