• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you pronounce "Drow"?

How do you pronouce "Drow"?

• As rhyming with "go"

Votes: 81 16.1%
  • As rhyming with "cow"

Votes: 395 78.4%
  • Both ways

Votes: 23 4.6%
  • Neither way

Votes: 5 1.0%

Thanee

First Post
We say drow, like bow, go, etc. (Option #1).

The real dark elf related pronounciation question however is, how to say it with the Warhammer Fantasy dark elves, who are called druchii !?

Bye
Thanee

WanderingMonster

First Post
I'm sure this will end the debate;)

From rec.games.frp.dnd:

Note: the "correct" pronunciation of Drow is taken from Page 9 of
_A Grand Tour of the Realms_ (2nd edition Forgotten Realms boxed set)
where it states, "Dark elves, also called Drow (pronounced to rhyme
with now or how)..."

Davelozzi

Explorer
I acknowledge that the correct answer according to the powers that be is that it rhymes with "cow", but I've been pronouncing it as if it rhymed with "go" (or "crow" as I like to think of it) for so long that I'm not about to switch now. I voted for the way I say it, not the correct way.

ConnorSB

First Post
maybe the Drow (as in cow) are one elven subrace, and the Drow (as in go) are another, similar subrace. I mean, if we have one elven subrace for every niche, why not two?

Last edited:

Frilf

Explorer
d4 said:
i usually pronounce it "dark elf."

saves a lot of trouble. ;)

Ditto that. Beat me to it ;)

Failing that, I'd go with the "cow" version. I'm from the Midwest and I'm sentimental about bovines - evil, devious bovines that worship spiders. So sue me! :D

Sejs

First Post
I've always pronounced it as rhyming with "go", because I have a very hard time feeling intimidated by the rhymes-with-cow pronunciation. "Go" drow seems more ... clipped. Cold and hard. "Cow" drow feels more ... soft and fluffy. Like they're a big comfy pillow of evil.

Though, as I usually run in FR, my dark elves almost exclusivly refer to themselves as Illythiiri, seeing how drow is the equivelant of a racial slur.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Sejs said:
Like they're a big comfy pillow of evil.

They must be... considering how many people like them... ;)

Though, as I usually run in FR, my dark elves almost exclusivly refer to themselves as Illythiiri, seeing how drow is the equivelant of a racial slur.

Yep, I doubt, they would call themselves by the name the elves gave them after their exile.

Bye
Thanee

Xune

First Post
Drow Pain

Drow as in oww that hurt, Droe sounds like a mentally challenged person with a boat. Hope that doesn't offend. Droe doesn't sound harsh or cut off at all. It is too soft sounding. Drow, one quick syllable, harsh survives only for a se ond. In the end though the only thing that maters is the players preference. If you want to call them pansy spider guys go for it.

Last edited:

xbrokenxswordx

First Post
It also rhymed with cow for me. And I had seen the word a good two-three years before ever talking to another person about it. For one, the cow or bow as in to bow pronunciation has a much more elvish feel to it. While drow are evil, they are still elvish and should fundamentally feel elvish in their language. It's a softer sounding name, and a bit more sinister for it.

Droe just makes me think of d'oh. And that's not something that inspires fear. At all.

Remove ads