• As rhyming with "cow"

Votes: 395 78.4%
  • Both ways

Votes: 23 4.6%
  • Neither way

Votes: 5 1.0%

Chronosome

First Post
You could always incorporate both into your campaign--with regional dialect and all.
Then you could have these debates in taverns with NPCs. :)

"No, no! It's drow!"

"My ears--ow! It's drow!"

Then a dusky elf can show up and refer to himself by some cool fourteen syllable native word. Then kill them. :)

(BTW, I've always pronounced it like "cow".)

Last edited:

Tuzenbach

First Post
Chronosome said:
You could always incorporate both into your campaign--with regional dialect and all.
Then you could have these debates in taverns with NPCs. :)

"No, no! It's drow!"

"My ears--ow! It's drow!"

Then a dusky elf can show up and refer to himself by some cool fourteen syllable native word. Then kill them. :)

(BTW, I've always pronounced it like "cow".)

Actually, I'm eventually going to use it as a light-hearted plot contrivance. Two huge clans of Drow wage war against one another for the "Right Of Pronounciation"! Of course, the winning side will be the ones that favour the 'rhymes with go' version!

Anime Kidd

Explorer
After replying to this thread, Ive been saying Drow (cow) in my head and have become to realize it aint that bad after all, but no matter what, I still prefer the Go version anyday. :p

dead

Explorer
Look up your dictionaries. It's pronounced to rhyme with "cow".

EGG didn't invent the word drow. It's been around for a long time meaning: "Evil spirit" or some such.

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Yo, bro, here comes a drow!
I'm gonna have to kill him like the last bozo.
Uh oh, uh oh.
Everybody say uh oh, uh oh.
I'll never be po'.
Gonna steal that drow's dough.
That's what lootin' chumps is fo'.

Umm...no thanks.
Drow rhymes with now, cow, plow...
Always has, AFAIC, and always will.
Plus it's official, which certainly doesn't mean anyone has to follow suit (it just means we're right, and the drow = no people are very, very wrong :D).

Edit: BTW, please let these drow pronunciation topics die.

Last edited:

Snoweel

First Post
Umbran said:
For my money, rhyming drow with cow leads towards nasal pronounciation. The name of this race should strike the heart, raise dread in all who hear it. "Cow"-style just doesn't do that.

I beg to differ.

I always envisioned the Drowcow language as being incredibly harsh and nasal-sounding, like they're snarling with every sentence.

If you've ever heard Italian spoken by somebody who talks through their nose, you've experienced the dread raised by Drows speaking.

Snow "One Drow, two Drows" eel

Remove ads