How do you pronunce "grognard"?

How do you pronunce "grognard"?

• "GROG-nerd" – /'ɡrɑɡnərd/ for those down with the International Phonetic Alphabet

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • "grog-NARD" – /'ɡrɑɡnɑrd/ in IPA

Votes: 65 59.1%
  • "gruh-NYAR(D)" – /ɡʀɔ'ɲaʀ/ in French, IPA

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • some other way

Votes: 13 11.8%

reelo

Hero
As someone who's been speaking French since the age of 7 and who's married to a French woman, the correct pronounciation (for an English speaker trying to sound correct) would be something like "groin-yard" (without the -d in yard, and with the stress on the second syllable)

Cordwainer Fish

Imp. Int. Scout Svc. (Dishon. Ret.)
As someone who's been speaking French since the age of 7 and who's married to a French woman, the correct pronounciation (for an English speaker trying to sound correct) would be something like "groin-yard" (without the -d in yard, and with the stress on the second syllable)
And with a different kind of r.

(The r that English uses is rare and weird among the world's languages.)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I've always pronounced it "Grog-nard", but then I also say "Mee-lee" instead of "may-lay", so what do I know....
You pronounce it grognard, because in this context it's an American word and Americans pronounce all foreign words wrong.

(Sorry, but you all know it's true. :p)
Yep. I know it’s a French word and should be pronounced the French way, but we mangle foreign words in English. So it’s mee-lee and grog-nard. Not may-lay and gron-yar.

Arakhor

Explorer
I say MEH-lay and GRON-yard, not that I've ever said the second word, but it  looks French, so i automatically interpret it in the same way as Cro Magnon or filet mignon.

Jelly Bean

RPG Dabbler
I’ve always used the French pronunciation even when I lived in England. These days I live in a predominantly Francophone country so that pronunciation persisted. I was a bit surprised when I first heard the English pronunciation from the podcast, The Grognard files but fair enough these types of pronunciation shift happen all the time so if it becomes a general usage then it’s not wrong… Like saying “Paris” rather than “Paree”.

aramis erak

Legend
It was used in 1970s Wargaming circles, after the expansion of wargaming and entry of the likes of Milton Bradley and Steve Jackson. The old traditionalist grumbling about the new players and their ideas - some of those ideas developed into RPGs.
Its kinda ironic justice that thos old school gamers now attract the label
Dude... some of us revel in it!

I've often seen it used as an affectionate description of the graybeard running old games for the younger generations. This is especially true for the Traveller fandom. And has been used as a self-descriptive by a surprisingly large number of posters on COTI.

I acquired knowledge of the term in roleplaying when I started hitting traveller email lists in the mid 1990's; I was, however, aware of its use in wargaming circles from years prior. I think about 1987, guy named Ken, doing minis games for youth, meeting in a mall. He self-referenced as a grog-nard (even emphasis).

Remove ads