• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you rate your setting's chances?

How do you rate your setting's chances?

• I own0rz j00r $120K

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Flying islands! How can I lose?

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Quietly confident of getting through the first round

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • It\'s in the lap of the gods

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • It was worth a shot, but I can\'t see it happening for me

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • Perhaps I shouldn\'t have mentioned sentient wombats as a PC race

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Did I really submit that? How embarassment...

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Omigod! Did I sign the proposal form? Have I been roundfiled?

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • All of the above

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • All of the above ... about three times a minute

Votes: 10 9.3%

Rashak Mani

First Post
TEN THOUSAND SUBMISSIONS !!

Do you really think that they will seriously consider even half of those ? Your submissions will win in the first two or three paragrapahs the chance to be even considered. Lousy writing skills will eliminate most.

They will throw a lot of stuff in the garbage right out... too much stuff to go thru.

arcseed

First Post
Re: Flying islands....

ashockney said:
LOL! Damn that's funny!

A significant portion of our primary submission is based on a floating island, and we have a nice graphic of it up in the corner. That just kills me that whoever put together the poll decided to put that on there.

Given that this sounds like it may have been a common theme, maybe that should be moved to the bottom of the list, below "D'oh!"

heh. http://test.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16076

As for my chances, the setting I did submit, all my friends told me, 'I love it! But it's probably not quite what they're looking for.' And that was pretty much what I felt too, but better something I like a lot and can write up well than trying to guess what they want and writing that.

So I'm not too hopeful.

2WS-Steve

First Post
Flying Islands!

On the other hand, a preponderance of flying island settings might indicate to WotC that there's a burning desire in the market for a flying islands world and so they'll include one or more flying island writeups in the final ten, just to see how it works out in the ten page writeup.

The question then is: who wrote the best flying island setting idea?

Rexfelis

First Post
fair to middlin

Well I feel good about the content, structure and overall impact of my submission, and I'm 99% confident I didn't miss anything technical that would disqualify my submission from being read - except maybe the size 4.2 font size, .25 margins, Old English script font and 3,576 single-page word count =OP

The ONLY minor gripe I have with the setting proposal template is this:

"2. Who are the heroes? [Brief description of heroes central to the setting. This need not be a comprehensive list.]"

The statement "brief description of the heroes central to the setting." lead me to believe the submission was to include a discussion of iconic characters within the setting. However later, in a message board thread (that not everyone had the luxury of reading), Anthony stated they were looking for a description of archetypes heroes, as opposed to heroic personalities "central to the setting". Thus that particular section of the submission template is arguably open to interpretation, and I trust the readers will not construe iconic hero discussion as "not following directions.".

At any rate, the setting search is a great idea, it was fun to enter, and I wish everyone luck.

Brisk-sg

First Post
Re: Flying Islands!

2WS-Steve said:
On the other hand, a preponderance of flying island settings might indicate to WotC that there's a burning desire in the market for a flying islands world and so they'll include one or more flying island writeups in the final ten, just to see how it works out in the ten page writeup.

The question then is: who wrote the best flying island setting idea?

Whenever I think of Flying Islands I think of Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman's Death Gate Cycle. The 1st book took place on a Flying Island world.

I honestly cannot think of a better flying world design then what they put together... but I would love to see a published flying world campaign setting.

Sigma

First Post
Maybe this should be called, How Big is My Ego. ;)

Seriously though, you've already got 17 people saying they're going confident of making it through the first round. At least 7 of them are wrong, probably all 17 are.

Win, lose, I don't really care. What I look forward to is seeing people who've been bragging about how good their submissions are and how they think they have better than average chances of making it to the top ten lose. :D

Green Knight

First Post
I'd LIKE to think my setting proposal has at least a 1 in 10 chance. ;) But it's more likely something like a 1 in 10,000 chance. One hell of a longshot. Wouldn't surprise me if I don't make it into the 2nd round, despite how much I liked the setting I had created.

VoodooGroves

First Post
My wife, who is not a gamer but she has played one or two in the far, far past, read my submissions.

The one she liked best and thought she'd pay for was of course the one all of my gamer friends thought was the least likely to succeed.

That is what drove my multiple entries...she was very adamant about which she preferred as were the rest of them...since postage is cheap, I sent both in. Luckily for me, the odds of a decision from WoTC in my favor on either are slim, so I'm not going to have to deal with the choice between wife and friends issue one bit.

On the topic of statistics and the like .... a few years ago (1999) the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology published a study - link here - called:
Unskilled and Unaware of It: How
Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own
Incompetence Lead to Inflated
Self-Assessments

I'd like to think everyone that hit one of the high options on the poll was joking and not blatantly victim of this particular ... quirk.

Anywho...

Xeriar

First Post
VoodooGroves said:

On the topic of statistics and the like .... a few years ago (1999) the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology published a study - link here - called:
Unskilled and Unaware of It: How
Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own
Incompetence Lead to Inflated
Self-Assessments

I'd like to think everyone that hit one of the high options on the poll was joking and not blatantly victim of this particular ... quirk.

Anywho...

Well, going by the statistics there, you could reasonably assume that a good half to three-quarters of the people who seriously picked the top of the line are 'incompetant'.

A few people who judged themselves 'in the lap of the gods' or below may well be underrating themselves. The fact that twenty people on this site alone believe that they will make it to the second round is telling :)

Remove ads