• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do your characters deal with potions?

How do you characters use potions?

• Save them for a rainy day

Votes: 47 29.0%
  • Use them once in a while, usually for tougher encounters

Votes: 74 45.7%
  • Use them at least once during the night

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • Chug them like Red Bull before an all nght Rave party

Votes: 19 11.7%

DragonLancer

Adventurer
My players tend to blow their gold on potions and scrolls so that they don't have to waste valuable spells. Expendables first then burn the casters out of power.

I give out item cards, which has gradually caused them to burn expendibles more often. The large problem with many potions (bulls strength etc) is how buff duration was hosed in 3.5, making them less useful, since they arent worth an action in combat. I introduced some variant potions that give +2 to a stat and last for 30 minutes, and they have chugged.

drothgery

First Post
EyeontheMountain said:
Put them into the backpack and promptly forget about them, is my party's usual tactic.

Yup. Scrolls, too. Heck, charged magic items other than wands in general (permanent items are either used or sold).

Henry

Autoexreginated
Ealli said:
There are two issues which exacerbate hoarding consumables. First, to apply the power-up takes away your turn's action quite possibly drawing an attack of opportunity. It could often be better to simply continue your attack so finishing the battle quicker and without taking that extra damage. Second, potions are a pain to identify. I don't want to go spending a pearl for a potion that has a decent chance of being worth less than the pearl. Yes, you can Spellcraft it, but that's not entirely reliable.

Don't they still have the Craft (Alchemy) route to identify potions? Costs 1 gp in materials to do the tests, and you can ID the potion. If your group doesn't have an alchemist, then I'm betting one is cheap to hire by book prices.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Incidentally, an awesome mundane item for heavy users with a regular habit is the potion bracer from Sharn: City of Towers. You can store three potions in it, and which allows you to chug one as a standard action that doesn't provoke AoOs. The fact that you don't have to retrieve the potion as a move action with another AoO is just gravy. I love mine!
-blarg

ps - we've dispensed with costs for IDing potions. Makes life a lot simpler.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads