• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does Boromir keep fighting?

Chromnos

First Post
Reality is stranger than fantasy-

In reality many people have survived from being stabbed dozens of times in the chest. In truth, not every hit the chest will be vital. Arrows do more damage going out than coming in. Arrows lodged in the lungs will cause internal bleeding but as long as the puncture remains sealed, the lung retains integrity and the wounded person may keep breathing.

Even if the heart were punctured, it could continue to beat for many minutes or even hours after the puncture occured.

This happens, in combat, on occasion. In Mogadishu, a Ranger was struck by an RPG round. The RPG lodged in his chest cavity but didn't go off. It had entered under his right arm-pit and it's tip pushed all the way through until it came out of his chest on the far side. Lungs, heart, everything was subject to severe trauma from the force of impact, the high heat of the round entering the chest (It happened at night and eye-witnesses reported they could see the round glowing through his skin), and the fact that vital organs were pierced.

Regardless, the soldier retained vital signs for many hours. Combat doctors, being unable to help the poor guy, labled him as expectant and left him to die while expending their energy on others they could save.

In game terms, to take a good number of arrow hits, all one has to have are crazy hit points. Boromir was a high level fighter. That makes it all nice and easy.

The Ranger- now there's one I'd like to see explained in game terms.

-C

Uller

Adventurer
Chromnos said:

In game terms, to take a good number of arrow hits, all one has to have are crazy hit points. Boromir was a high level fighter. That makes it all nice and easy.

The Ranger- now there's one I'd like to see explained in game terms.

-C

That's easy. He stablized. But with no one tending him, he continued to lose hitpoints until dying...

From the SRD:
A character who stabilizes on its own (by making the 10% roll while dying) and who has no one to tend for it still loses hit points, just at a slower rate. The character has a 10% chance each hour of becoming conscious. Each time the character misses the hourly roll to become conscious, the character loses 1 hit point. The character also does not recover hit points through natural healing.

Even once the character becomes conscious and is disabled, an unaided character still does not recover hit points naturally. Instead, each day he has a 10% chance to start recovering hit points naturally (starting with that day); otherwise, the character loses 1 hit point.

Emphasis mine.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

Well sometimes it's pretty hard not to "imagine" these things. I'm sure a lot of twisted people who weren't really into LotR but went to see the movie thought Sam and Frodo were gay. I sure as hell didn't...I just saw a great friendship. Love does exist between two entirely heterosexual best friends.

The times we live in dictate people's perception. It is highly disappointing that modern children and young adults reading or watching LOTR might somehow interpret Sam and Frodo's love for one another as anything more than a deep loving friendship.

I know this isn't the popular opinion, but the above is exactly why homosexuality should not be condoned as a normal, healthy form of behavior in any society. It destroys sex roles and harms the relationship between men by making ambiguous lines of what friendship and love between men should be like. I will never in all my days of life teach my children that homosexuality is a tolerable, normal, healthy form of behavior.

ReignofGeekaos

First Post
When did this topic become Homosexuality in Lord of the Rings. Last time I checked it was about how Boromir kept fighting off those Orc's, so some morons read the last scene wrong, so what their are always idiots out there.

And as much as you make like it or not Homosexuality exist, hell Sir Ian Mckellen plays Gandalf and he's openly gay, does it really mess with your preception of his role much? Does it even really matter at all.

It's something that happens in society so what big deal, it doesn't matter except to small minded people, or someone with a teenage mentality. I myself am not gay, but it still pisses me off when I read something stupid about it. In our day, and age it's not that big a thing, and it only seems to matter to Bible thumpers or Morons.

In any case it doesn't matter because the topic of the thread was How he kept fighting not Boromir a flaming fag?

Last edited:

ReignofGeekaos

First Post
I agree. If it does keep going I'll ask the mods to close it myself. Now I didn't say Boromir needed a prestige class. I was thinking more of what would a Son of Gondor, or Protecter of the White City prestige class be like. I think the idea has some merit, and could be very interesting to see what people come up with.

William Ronald

Explorer
Although it has been referred to elsewhere, adrenalin is useful in a fight. It is possible to ignore some of the pain while in an adrenalin rush.

I hope this thread can stay on topic.

Another thought: Possibly the Numenorean blood in Boromir's family might have given him some sort of constitution bonus. Although it seems that the exceptional Numenorean traits in Boromirs family (Denethor, Faramir) were mostly in terms of mental ability. Maybe a will save bonus. (The Ring was incredibly tempting, as Boromir wanted to save his people and fulfill the boyhood fantasy of being a mighty king. Read the Two Towers about Boromir's desire for kingship.)

Remove ads