• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does Chill Touch work/last?

photon1966

First Post
The discrption of Chill Touch is straight forward enough, you get if 5th level 5 touches. But with instaneous duration how would you make use of them as you only have one attack, maybe two if you go with two weapon fighting some how? Or does it mean the next five attacks with you hands are chilled, which would be fine but does that mean it keeps running till you turn it off. What about as my player wanted to do and use it with Spectral hand? We house rulled, based on Produce flame it, that it lasted 1minute per level, thus 5 minutes but each use of it sucked up a minute of time. This was fine for us but I wonder what or how Chill touch is suppose to work?

Thanks in advance.

UltimaGabe

First Post
The charges stay in your hand until you use them. As long as the caster doesn't touch anything with that hand, he could hold the charge for a hundred years if he wanted to.

Chill Touch lasts until you expend all your charges / touches. Note that touching an opponent counts as one touch, as does touching just about anything else (like, picking up a potion).

If you've got multiple attacks per round (like from having a high BAB), you can deliver multiple touches per round.

It also ends immediately if you cast any other spell.

Garrett

First Post
I think what it means is, the effect takes place immediately. Meaning you can start touching people for the spell. I would assume that it doesn't mean you must make all X touches on your next turn or loose the effects of the spell.

I could be wrong, thats my interpretation~

MichaelH

First Post
photon1966 said:
The discrption of Chill Touch is straight forward enough, you get if 5th level 5 touches. But with instaneous duration how would you make use of them as you only have one attack, maybe two if you go with two weapon fighting some how? Or does it mean the next five attacks with you hands are chilled, which would be fine but does that mean it keeps running till you turn it off. What about as my player wanted to do and use it with Spectral hand? We house rulled, based on Produce flame it, that it lasted 1minute per level, thus 5 minutes but each use of it sucked up a minute of time. This was fine for us but I wonder what or how Chill touch is suppose to work?

Thanks in advance.
Check the following in the PH.

Page 140-142. Touch Spells in Combat. Touch Attacks. Holding the Charge.

This should explain how touch spells like Chill Touch work.

ken-ichi

First Post
Note that this is a great spell for bar maids. One spell and you can deliver nice cool refreshing drinks to an entire table.
The keeping of the charges could be bad if you suddenly need to catch someone from falling or similar situation, but great for party tricks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads