D&D 5E How does one "Champion"?

So . . . I've been thinking about it. What people have said. I know what I want character to be like but I didn't know now until today. So let me run things from my thoughts for you peeps.

First of all, I'm going to keep my character simple and mix things up with the feats a bit. I'm not so keen on the Multiclassing and as much as my dm has wanted me to Multiclass in the past, he's made it clear that no one is allowed to do so in the next game. Turns out no ones allowed to play a Half-Orc either . . .

So . . . this new character. I'm calling him/her "Maxwell". "Maxwell" in british/english culture means "capable". it's also Unisex and can be a first and surname. So yeah, a very versitile name.

Next, I am going to return Maxwell to the roots of "Human" but with different motives.

For Maxwell's background, I'm going with "City Watch". More Specfically, The Night Watch.

Maxwell would have had to patrol the streets at night, deal with the drunks and bar fights as well as see the more ugly aspects of city life as criminals and low lives attempt to sneak around when the majority of the populace lay sleeping in their homes under the assumption that they are safe. For Maxwell, seeing and being a part of violence would be a normal thing but that doesn't mean trying to stop a riot would be any less pleasent.

As for why Maxwell would leave 'the watch. I would say there could be a couple of reasons. Maybe the Law doesn't do anything to fix the city as gangs of criminals simply can't be approached for how influential they are. Maybe the officals running the opperations are corrupt or maybe Maxwell just wants a change of life as you don't really to get appreciate what is out there when your so focused on the shadows.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've hit something on the head there. I'm sure a character whoose had that kind of existance could be quite scrappy and have some kind of serious mentallity when it comes to order and survival/fighting.
So yeah, if there be anything anyone would like to add to that, I'm more than happy to mull things over. Thank You.

Satyrn

First Post
So . . . I've been thinking about it. What people have said. I know what I want character to be like but I didn't know now until today. So let me run things from my thoughts for you peeps.

First of all, I'm going to keep my character simple and mix things up with the feats a bit. I'm not so keen on the Multiclassing and as much as my dm has wanted me to Multiclass in the past, he's made it clear that no one is allowed to do so in the next game. Turns out no ones allowed to play a Half-Orc either . . .

So . . . this new character. I'm calling him/her "Maxwell". "Maxwell" in british/english culture means "capable". it's also Unisex and can be a first and surname. So yeah, a very versitile name.

Next, I am going to return Maxwell to the roots of "Human" but with different motives.

For Maxwell's background, I'm going with "City Watch". More Specfically, The Night Watch.

Maxwell would have had to patrol the streets at night, deal with the drunks and bar fights as well as see the more ugly aspects of city life as criminals and low lives attempt to sneak around when the majority of the populace lay sleeping in their homes under the assumption that they are safe. For Maxwell, seeing and being a part of violence would be a normal thing but that doesn't mean trying to stop a riot would be any less pleasent.

As for why Maxwell would leave 'the watch. I would say there could be a couple of reasons. Maybe the Law doesn't do anything to fix the city as gangs of criminals simply can't be approached for how influential they are. Maybe the officals running the opperations are corrupt or maybe Maxwell just wants a change of life as you don't really to get appreciate what is out there when your so focused on the shadows.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've hit something on the head there. I'm sure a character whoose had that kind of existance could be quite scrappy and have some kind of serious mentallity when it comes to order and survival/fighting.
So yeah, if there be anything anyone would like to add to that, I'm more than happy to mull things over. Thank You.

I have nothing to add to that. That is about twice as much background as I give to my characters. It's a solid idea with lots of room to expand as you are actually playing the game.

There are lots of hooks for the DM to use, a wide scope of NPCs he can introduce as coming from your past if he chooses. Just off the top of my head, I can come up with guards, crooks, merchants, judges, bounty hunters, etc.

Chaosmancer

Legend

I like it.

I'd say the reason you left depends on your "alignment" but it seems Maxwell is the type to generally help people, maybe they weren't into taking the traditional bribes given to the Watch.

So, either driven out because of corrupt officials, or framed for a crime you didn't commit because you got the wrong people angry at you.

Either way, sounds like an awesome character and glad we could help out.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Sounds like the forthcoming 'Inquisitive' might be just the thing...

A rough man, ready to do violence, so that civilized people can sleep safe in their beds?

That does sound a bit more fighter-like. Funny thing about the fighter as 'guard:' for much of D&D's history, they were really bad at it. Easy to surprise, slow, not able to do anything but take up space, a 'meat shield' blocking a choke point, at best. 4e made them better 'defenders' in combat, and WIS was secondary so they could be OK at perception (if they snuck it in from a background). 5e nerfed the former but brought that last into the class proper, even if class skills don't mean as much as they did in 3e ('in-class' meant twice as many ranks, maximum, compared to out-of-class; in 5e, it's just proficiency, same as from a background, and everyone's proficiency is the same - 3e 'trained' was closer to 5e 'Expertise,' that way).

Sounds like the forthcoming 'Inquisitive' might be just the thing...

A rough man, ready to do violence, so that civilized people can sleep safe in their beds?

That does sound a bit more fighter-like. Funny thing about the fighter as 'guard:' for much of D&D's history, they were really bad at it. Easy to surprise, slow, not able to do anything but take up space, a 'meat shield' blocking a choke point, at best. 4e made them better 'defenders' in combat, and WIS was secondary so they could be OK at perception (if they snuck it in from a background). 5e nerfed the former but brought that last into the class proper, even if class skills don't mean as much as they did in 3e ('in-class' meant twice as many ranks, maximum, compared to out-of-class; in 5e, it's just proficiency, same as from a background, and everyone's proficiency is the same - 3e 'trained' was closer to 5e 'Expertise,' that way).

Maybe I'll take that weakness into consideration and make it a part of my character :) Like my character just considers him/herself a guard and the idea of taking on everything just seemed like a "nope" to Maxwell :)

Remove ads