• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does one fight with a reach weaon?

Manzanita

First Post
For a glaive, longspear etc, which can be used at 10 feet, but not at 5 feet, how does one fight? Once in melee combat with someone with a standard weapon, what would be your options? Could you move 5 feet away every round, then strike? Or do most characters with such weapons drop them once combat is joined, and pull out a more standard weapon?

Just wondering how other people handle this, having never had a character use a reach weapon much.

Thanks.

MerakSpielman

First Post
Manzanita said:
Could you move 5 feet away every round, then strike?
That's exactly what you end up doing. 5' step back, attack, 5' step back, attack...

I just thought of another question. I'll put it in a new post.

clark411

First Post
Break the glaive over your knee, go into club / short sword two weapon fighting crying "Kiiyah! Kiiyah!" like a seagull for the +2 psychological warfare bonus for your attacks.

Or just do the five foot step back thing. I've never seen someone drop a glaive for a sword when combat closed unless their sword was superior mechanically, and the glaive was there just to give a possible aoo in the early round.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
IMC I allow most reach weapons to be used as Improvised Clubs [can't be thrown] to attack within the wielder’s natural reach.

Kurtz Tote

First Post
This worked at low levels . . .

If you are fighting aggressive numbers of opponents, the more effective strategy I found was to back out of combat altogether. Move say 20' back, then when they close again (assuming you have combat reflexes) you'll get attacks against several of them, all at your highest BAB. Combine with Quick Draw and some tumbling skill, and you can tumble around, whip out a dagger to throw at them to keep them nice and mad at you, and then bust them up when they close.

I also liked combining this with a Pscionic Warrior and the Stand Still feat (at least I think I'm remembering the name right). Keeps your enemies at bay quite nicely.

borc killer

First Post
Well... best thing to do is have your 2 buddies form a shield wall (with the feat out of CW works best) and you stand behind them and smack people with your reach weapon. We did this with 2 fighters and a cleric with a glaive. Worked well... you just have to make sure it is hard for people to get around the sides.

In an open field were you really can't do that with a small group the moving 5' normally works.

Right now I am playing a Shou Disciple who uses a glaive for those fare badies away and then just uses his unarmed attack when they get close... I have to say that this works so well I feel like a munchan... *shurg*

Borc Killer

borc killer said:
Well... best thing to do is have your 2 buddies form a shield wall (with the feat out of CW works best) and you stand behind them and smack people with your reach weapon.

The only problem with this is that your enemis have an AC cover bonus from you, since your shield buddies are between them and you.

AR

Remove ads