How does your group divide up the treasure?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Our group basically does what Piratecat's group does.

However, years ago, I created a chit system that I've always wanted to try out.

The idea is to have the party leader hand out a certain number of chits (or tokens) for every magic item found (outside of possibly potions and scrolls or other single use items). Low power items would have maybe 3 chits handed out, high power items might have more chits. But, regardless of how many are handed out, every character involved gets the same number of chits per item (maybe half of that for a henchmen if you want).

Then, as time goes by, characters can auction off the items. This allows characters to do whatever they feel like in order to gain an advantage. For example, bidding someone up when you really do not want an item. But, be careful. Or, borrowing chits from someone else to make sure you get an item. Or, selling your +2 sword to someone for 25 chits so that you can have 40 chits to outbid everyone else for a +3 one.

If nobody really wants a given item, you then try to sell it for real cash. All non-magical wealth then gets split up equally (except possibly for a party fund).

One interesting aspect of this type of system is that early on, items go fairly cheap (characters do not have that many chits). However, a few characters might hoard their chits and go into a real bidding war for an item later on. Another is that some characters might purchase items cheaply that no one else wants, and then turn around and sell those same items in a town or somewhere for real gold.

And, in fact, you could use gold instead of chits, but then you might get into arguments about a given item not being worth 100 GP and it could be sold in town for more. The chit system tends to pull it out of a typical monetary system and into more of a bartering system (10 chits today might be quite a few, but it might not be that many tomorrow, so worth of goods vary). If you think an item is going too cheaply to someone else, nothing stops you from bidding for it (or bidding it up) except not having enough chits yourself (or wanting to hoard them). But, if it goes cheap, that's life.

To me, this seems like Capitalism in action and I'd really like to try it out some day. :)

Magic items and gold is important for us in the game. We use an "economic" dividing system. All the gold is divided in equal shares to everyone. Everybody can buy an item found for half the "value". If two persons both want it then the one that bid highest will get it and the gold will be divided to everyone.

The best part with this is that there is never any argument about who should get what- just bid more if you want it...

We have tried many dividing systems and some had alot of really hard discussions with some people left with to little stuff etc...

Blaise The Magician

Thanee

First Post
Gold is not divided up until after the adventure, where it is divided evenly. Everything that was bought during the adventure is bought from the total amount before dividing.

Treasure is divided in a way, that the items are brought to good use. The one who can use it the best gets it. Of course, if more than one character can use the treasure, then the one who has fewer treasure gets it, or it is just decided randomly in some rare occurances.

Bye
Thanee

tburdett

Explorer
In my campaign the players have one person keep a record of all the treasure that they find.

When they reach a place of relative safety they start throwing down the Analyze Dweomers to figure out what they have. The value of the items usually doesn't figure into the distribution of the items at all. They usually decide who would benefit most from the item and give it to that person.

The melee characters get the lions share of the potions and the casters get all of the spell completion items.

The group doesn't seem at all motivated by a desire to gain personal wealth, which is really cool.

Next session they will more than likely find their first item which grants a single wish. I can't wait to find out how they distribute that item.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Piratecat said:
We divide monetary treasure by the number of party members + 1. This extra share is what pays for inn rooms, tolls, common expenses and the like. It also tends to contribute towards wizard spell inscribing.

That's ingenious! Holy mother of pearl i never thought of it that way!!

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Leopold said:

That's ingenious! Holy mother of pearl i never thought of it that way!!

You and your group don't get out much, do you? :)

Just kidding, I'm just overreacting to your overreacting and having some fun with you.

I thought every group tried this at some point in time though: kind of like DND Treasure Distribution 101.

Glad you found something useful. :cool:

DiFier

First Post
Currentlly it is pretty easy.

first we don't get a lot of money 50 gp, 100 sp. We've been fighting a lot of spellcasters lately so we usually get soome scrolls and potions. My group consists of two people myself and Dru She's a Rogue/fighter and I'm a wizard/fighter/spellsword. So I get the scrolls and she gets the potions. She got the magic rapier her sword of choice. we divide up the rings and pendants and stuff. and gold goes 50/50. I get wands and staffs and stuff like that for now but as her use magic device increases we'll start dividing that stuff up too.

we sell stuff too. that is how we get most of our cash. we're member's of Freeport's City watch, there isn't much treaure circulating through the city. Sure we're the richest watchmen in freeport (even richer than the guys who are on the take.) But Hoarding gold isn't a problem. We go through cure potions like they were water.

Vocenoctum

First Post
The group I DM was originally Split the money and divide magic item's by who wants em.
It usually ended up with the more polite players not getting as much magic though. Then lately, the party was upgrading some of the stuff and individual members sold off some of the stuff they'd gotten.

Sure, the item was there's, but they then kept the money all for themselves to buy new stuff...

So, anyway, now they're bound by the adventurer's Compact. All gems, jewelry and coin are totalled up, all other items (magic items and gear) are added up at half value (which is what they would sell for) The total is evenly split between all members that were present that session.

The exclusion for people that miss the session might seem a bit harsh, but so? :)

Remove ads