• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does your group handle a character's Hit Points?

What Hit Dice Gen method does your group use?

• Roll HD once, take what you get

Votes: 168 33.3%
  • Roll HD once, re-roll 1's

Votes: 113 22.4%
  • Fixed HD/level

Votes: 90 17.8%
  • Roll HD, may reroll but at next HD down (d10 to d8, d8 to d6, etc.)

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Some other method

Votes: 128 25.3%

Liquidsabre

Explorer
The poll on stat rolling methods reminded me of the different ways folk go about handling the two most important generated numbers for characters: Stats and Hit Points.

I wanted to share one of the recent changes I introduced to my group, long unsatisfied with HP rolling methods (even re-rolling 1's). The player rolls their character's new hit die as normal but in addition, behind the DM screen I roll the character's hit die as well. Now the player chooses: take their own roll or my concealed one. We've had loads of fun with this method already, from both sides of the DM screen. I get to watch my players squirm a bit with the tantalizing morsel of a hidden roll that "could" be revealed (for some reason they enjoy this :p ), at the same when very poor rolls are made they always go for the Dm-roll, which usually is better. This has nearly (though not entirely) elminated neat character builds gimped by low HP rolls and when low rolls are made on *both* dice, all consider it simply "meant to be" and so ordained by the dice gods.

So I just wanted to hear what methods other groups are currently using at their game table.

Happy Gaming!

Thanee

First Post
We also do it like this, tho we just let the DM roll, if we don't want to keep the roll, otherwise no roll is done.

Nice enough, the DM rolled a 4 for my d4 when I rolled a 1 once. :)
All my other rolls (9th level now, so that makes 7 other rolls) have been a 4 :)D), so I really can't complain about my hit points! :p

I'm thinking to do it in a different fashion, tho.

Roll as normal, if the result is lower than HD/2 (i.e. 4 for a d8), you get that instead.

Bye
Thanee

jaults

First Post
The game in which I play uses a method where choose to either take 1/2 max (including the .5, which then gets "rounded up" every other level) or to roll, but we keep what we get if we roll badly. I like this method, and have instituted it in games I run.

Jason

hong

WotC's bitch
3/4 HD, rounded down: d4 -> 3, d6 -> 4, d8 -> 6, d10 -> 7, d12 -> 9. This gives the PCs more hp than average, which for me is not a bad thing. NPCs just get the average.

Chronosome

First Post
In the group I'm currently a player in we're doing 75% maximum each level.
When I DM, I give players the choice of 50% max or a straight roll.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
I voted "May reroll but at next die down," but that's not exactly what I do. My players roll multiple dice at once, with a minimum. A barbarian rolls d12, d10 and d8, with a minimum of 6; a fighter rolls d10, d8 and d6, with a minimum of 5; a cleric rolls d8 and d6, with a minimum of 4; a rogue rolls d6 and d4 with a minimum of 3; a wizard rolls a d4 and d3 with a minimum of 2.

My players prefer power games, so I just give the monsters more hit points too.

Dave

Avalin

First Post
Bloody Paste

Vrecknidj said:
I voted "May reroll but at next die down," but that's not exactly what I do. My players roll multiple dice at once, with a minimum. A barbarian rolls d12, d10 and d8, with a minimum of 6; a fighter rolls d10, d8 and d6, with a minimum of 5; a cleric rolls d8 and d6, with a minimum of 4; a rogue rolls d6 and d4 with a minimum of 3; a wizard rolls a d4 and d3 with a minimum of 2.

My players prefer power games, so I just give the monsters more hit points too.

Dave

For power gaming under editions up to 2.0 I used to just give everyone and every creature max HP. After a year or so my mage (a player who has played a mage in virtually every game for over a decade) figured out that creatures that I was putting in to challenge the fighter could turn the mage into a bloody paste because of the HP disparity over time and the longevity of monsters with max HP so we switched to the method of they roll and I roll hidden that started this post and everyone likes it.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Every class rolls 1d4-1. This is subtracted from the maximum for their class. The idea is that the hit die becomes more of a reliable class feature so the barbarian doesn't get stuck with less hit points than the rogue by random accident.

As an example to illustrate, let's say the character is a fighter. He rolls the d4, and gets a 3. -1 is 2. 10-2=8, so he gets 8 hit points that level. It's 1d4-1 so that you can roll a 0, and get max hit points.

Remove ads