D&D (2024) How excited are you for the new 2024 edition d&d?

What is your excitement level? (1-5 with 5 being the highest)

Votes: 70 35.0%

Votes: 34 17.0%

Votes: 27 13.5%

Votes: 46 23.0%
  • 5 Most excited

Votes: 23 11.5%

• Poll closed .

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I voted 2 for "not very" (assuming 1 means "not at all").
I'm vaguely curious but I don't play much 5e anyway, so it's not too relevant at this point. I'll probably get the core books eventually, but not until a year or more after they release. Tbh, it kindasorta depends on how the nephews' interest in D&D evolves in coming years.

Incenjucar

Legend
I was at 5 when the first packet came out. Did a whole bunch of design work in anticipation, with tens of thousands of words written.

Between the drama, the spell-centric design, and the butchering of Planescape, I only really care for popcorn reasons. Now I play Pathfinder 2E, and the future is looking pretty bright there.

Vael

Legend
Voted 4, but tbh that was me rounding up. The UA process has at least, to me, justified that on the Player side of the 2024 revision will be enough rebalancing and tweaking to make it worthy of a new book and not just errata. I still enjoy 5e enough that that'll be good.

Where I'm hopeful but less certain is whether we will see a major improvement on the DM side. If the new MM and especially the DMG are significant better than 2014 then I'll be quite happy.

Reynard

Legend
I disagree. Wizards does not have a messaging problem. They are clear about their messaging. It's a Community Expectation and PR problem. The Community is fractured in differing what they want from D&D, and they are also suffering the blowbacks from their PR problems.

Most people in the world aren't tracking the playtest. They have too much more important stuff going on to read and watch what Wizards puts out. They get their news from hearsay and social media. And a lot of the vocal people, whether in-person, or on social media (of those who care strong enough to provide commentaty) are those who are angry.

Wizards has blundered enough to anger people, who now see Wizards as antagonists. These angry people are fighting any narrative that Wizards uses to try and create a positive groundswell. These people have become antagonists in their own right, even if they feel they are being legitimately reactive. Not everyone who disagrees with Wizards is this way, but just look at the social media comments. There is a lot of snide mockery exclaiming "6E!", "Pinkertons!", and "OGL!" and the like. Some call Wizards liars, purposefully spread their own narrative that does not match Wizards' narrative (calling it 6E or 5.5E, for instance) and otherwise actively try to harm Wizards efforts, sometimes to the point of spreading misinformation or spreading word that Wizards has explicit plans to harm the community in the future.

And it's not just those legitimately angry people. Some people have legit different definitions for themselves, and they vary to the extremes! Some say 5E doesn't need to be changed, and any changes are a cash grab. Some say 5E is boring, and they want something new, and rather than go somewhere else for what they want, they demand that Wizards makes D&D that way they envision. And each of those factions actively present their narrative as truth and One True Way.

When the 2024 books come out, we'll see what happens. If I don't like it, I'm going to bow out and stick to my own way of playing and not yuck everyone else's yum. I'm not going to troll and spread hate fertilizer in the D&D community because my desires were not catered to. Whatever game I play, I don't want to cause, or be subject to, rage-inducing trolling. I don't want ENWorld to turn into a cesspit. It's not fair to ENWorld, or the fans. We should find our own peace and joy and fun, even if it isn't technically core D&D anymore.
This idea that the only reason one might look at the stuff WotC has put out, from marketing to playtest documents, and conclude this iss, in fact, a new edition of the game is that they are angry trolls who hate WotC and want to burn them down at every turn is, frankly ridiculous. Moreover, characterizing anyone who expresses an opinion not supportive of WotC as "trolliong and spreading hate fertilizer" is insulting.

Ironic to be claiming the moral high ground while labeling anyone who disagrees with you a troll.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
This idea that the only reason one might look at the stuff WotC has put out, from marketing to playtest documents, and conclude this iss, in fact, a new edition of the game is that they are angry trolls who hate WotC and want to burn them down at every turn is, frankly ridiculous. Moreover, characterizing anyone who expresses an opinion not supportive of WotC as "trolliong and spreading hate fertilizer" is insulting.

Ironic to be claiming the moral high ground while labeling anyone who disagrees with you a troll.
That seems to be an incredibly uncharitable reading of @Mirrorrorrim's post, and you're generally better than that.

"You can express opinions not supportive of WotC without trolling and spreading hate, and there's no reason to troll and spread hate even if the game goes in a direction you don't like" was my take away from the last paragraph of the post. Certainly not that everyone who disagrees with WotC's direction or marketing is actually trolling.

This idea that the only reason one might look at the stuff WotC has put out, from marketing to playtest documents, and conclude this iss, in fact, a new edition of the game is that they are angry trolls who hate WotC and want to burn them down at every turn is, frankly ridiculous.
The problem is that what "an edition of the game" is is so different from WotC-D&D to most games that there is little clear consensus. 2e, 3.0, 4e, and 5e are so different that they might as well be separate games - and by any normal standards of I think any other RPG 3.0 -> 3.5 would definitely be a full edition worth of change. For that matter the reorganization in the middle of 2e might well count as one.

With D&D editions being so ideosyncratic I might think people who disagree with me are wrong - but you would have to take a truly absurd position (e.g. 1e and 2e are the same edition) for me to think that there was any bad faith involved.

Reynard

Legend
That seems to be an incredibly uncharitable reading of @Mirrorrorrim's post, and you're generally better than that.

"You can express opinions not supportive of WotC without trolling and spreading hate, and there's no reason to troll and spread hate even if the game goes in a direction you don't like" was my take away from the last paragraph of the post. Certainly not that everyone who disagrees with WotC's direction or marketing is actually trolling.
That is not how it was written.

Remove ads