• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What Should D&D 2024 Have Been +

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
what archetype has as one of its themes to be particularly overpowered or underpowered?
For overpowered, the obvious archetype is the "boss" hero who has sidekicks, e.g. Batman has Robin and (sometimes) Catwoman, Robin Hood has a bunch of sidekicks who generally do what he tells them to, Dr. Strange has Wong and a bunch of others at the monastery, and so forth.

For underpowered, the obvious archetype is any of those sidekicks.

mamba

Legend
For overpowered, the obvious archetype is the "boss" hero who has sidekicks, e.g. Batman
I did not say there are no such archetypes at all, I was speaking of D&D archetypes and I believe you would have a hard time convincing everyone else to play a Robin so you can be Batman or that your idea is to play a Robin yourself.

Power does not enter the equation much when deciding what archetype to play in D&D (imo), but that does not mean the different archetypes should not be balanced equally. You might put up with some imbalance, but you are not seeking it out

Nerf Magic (risk, cost, limitations of use - but not its power).
Nerf Hit Point bloat.
Introduce Travel Rest into the rules.
Size should matter more.
Change Expertise, create subskill system.
Provide examples of play for Degrees of Success/Failure.
Improve the Encounter Challenge rules.
Provide more uses for HD expenditure.
Lower starting base of ability point buy and have odd numbers affect something.
Mechanise Personality/Alignments Traits.
Make monsters lethal again.
Armour prevention rather than AC improvement.
Class Features shouldnt provide absolutes.
Remove feat taxes. Feats should provide interesting roleplaying opportunities.
Initiative every round becomes the standard.
At some point level improves one horizontally rather than vertically.
Optional supers add-on.

For starters...

Last edited:

Nerf Magic (risk, cost, limitations of use - but not its power).
Nerf Hit Point bloat.
Introduce Travel Rest into the rules.
Size should matter more.
Change Expertise, create subskill system.
Provide examples of play for Degrees of Success/Failure.
Improve the Encounter Challenge rules.
Provide more uses for HD expenditure.
Lower starting base of ability point buy and have odd numbers affect something.
Mechanise Personality/Alignments Traits.
Make monsters lethal again.
Armour prevention rather than AC improvement.
Class Features shouldnt provide absolutes.
Remove feat taxes. Feats should provide interesting roleplaying opportunities.
Initiative every round becomes the standard.
At some point level improve one horizontally rather than vertically.
Optional supers add-on.

For starters...
Tell me more about this subskill system idea.

Tell me more about this subskill system idea.
I think @AnotherGuy is talking about Skill Specialties. Level Up has this feature for it's skill system.

Skill Specialties (from Level Up's Adventurer's Guide)

In addition to having proficiency in a skill, a character may be an expert at a narrow area of specialization within that skill. For instance, a character proficient in the Deception skill maybe particularly adept in communicating through written code. A character gains two skill specialties at 1st level(plus bonus knowledge; see page 405), and gains an additional specialty whenever their proficiency bonus increases (at levels 5th, 9th, 13th, and 17th level). A character may choose any specialty in a skill in which they are proficient. A character may not gain the same skill specialty twice.
When a character makes an ability check to which their skill specialty applies, they gain an expertise die for that ability check. The Narrator determines whether the skill specialty applies.

Examples:

Arcana skill specialties: aberrations, constructs, detection, dragons, elementals, fey, forbidden knowledge, monstrosities, oozes, the planes.

Acrobatic skill specialties: : balancing, escape artistry, swinging, tumbling.

Remove ads