• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Expensive is Too Expensive?

A couple of years ago, Monte Cook Games began an experiment, kickstarting a project called Invisible Sun. The game itself has plenty of interesting ideas, and an amazing (although not unique) setting. But one thing that makes it stand out is the price. The core box set will set you back around $250, three or four times the price of most high end core books. However, one look inside the box...

A couple of years ago, Monte Cook Games began an experiment, kickstarting a project called Invisible Sun. The game itself has plenty of interesting ideas, and an amazing (although not unique) setting. But one thing that makes it stand out is the price. The core box set will set you back around $250, three or four times the price of most high end core books. However, one look inside the box made it clear you were getting what you paid for. Four lavishly illustrated hardback books, a ton of cards, maps, handouts and tokens, dice, character sheets, play aids and even a big statue of a hand. Invisible Sun was designed and conceived to be a luxury product, a game given every possible advantage to shine, with a price tag to match. The experiment posed a simple question, would it sell? Are enough gamers able and willing to part with that much cash for an RPG, even one as lush as Invisible Sun?

invisiblesun.jpg

The answer was a resounding yes. The kickstarter was very successful, and so MCG offered a second kickstarter project to give people another chance to get hold of it with a second print run. Obviously, such a complex project was not something they could offer as print on demand. The second kickstarter also hit its target and drew even more fans. However, the project also had its detractors. Some called MCG ‘elitist’ for making such a game only available in such an expensive form. In my case the first kickstarter coincided with my having had a very good week of overtime and I eagerly backed it. But I found it interesting that two of my friends, who regularly back huge, miniature laden board game kickstarters, declared that it looked nice but ‘they’d never pay that much money for a role playing game’.

Does this mean we don’t value role playing games in the same way? I wonder if this is the case. We’re used to board games being expensive, but given that you need the components there has never been the option to pirate a copy from a dodgy website. We still see people pirating PDFs of games and even trying to justify it as a reasonably necessity. I have known people say ‘I can’t afford them so I have to pirate them’. I have nothing but sympathy for anyone unable to afford to buy an RPG. But there are plenty of free games and quickstarts out there for all of us to play for free forever. The same pirates probably wouldn’t think of stealing something they actually need (like food and clothing) yet feel perfectly OK stealing from RPG creators.

When we look at RPGs today, it is a wonder they are as cheap as they are. The market is demanding more illustrations, graphics and content than it ever has. Thankfully, advances in printing have made such gorgeous books possible and affordable for creators. But all that art, layout, writing and graphic design (and the rest) all has to be paid for. Yet a game without such lush production values is often derided for looking cheap and tawdry, or just ignored. When I did some work on the Monte Cook Games stand at Gen Con, Invisible Sun had plenty of interest. While many people were taken back by the price tag, not a single person complained the product was overpriced when they saw what it contained. I wonder if those making calls of elitism would be so interested in an expensive game that wasn’t so well produced.

I would be very interested to see if Monte Cook Games produced a plainer version of Invisible Sun, whether it would sell. Monte himself has declared that the game is designed to be played as an experience, with all the tokens and components, and making a cheaper version takes too much from the game. But Invisible Sun is an awesome game in its own right, so, given its popularity, would it really be so bad to offer a lower cost version, if only to offer more people the chance to play it? But then, where do we stop? We again come back to ‘how much is too much?’ Should the industry make everything as cheap as possible or insist that to play their games, you (or a friend) will have to put your hand in your pocket? Sadly, the option of extremely cheap but lavish production values doesn’t exist.

Role playing games are a luxury market, much as we’d miss gaming, RPGs are not essential to life (hard to believe, but true!). So should the games continue to be prestige products, or do they need to be cheaper? To a certain extent, the market is the deciding factor. If people are buying them at this price, and there are plenty of cheaper options out there, why shouldn’t some games be more expensive than others? While we are used to limited editions alongside plainer standard ones, sometimes making a cheaper book isn’t always that much cheaper for producers. One company made a ‘cheap gamer edition’ of one of its rule books, a plain text print version without all the art and graphics. But not only did it not sell as well, it wasn’t that much cheaper. It still had to be printed, still needed writing and still needed layout and production.

John Wick addressed this issue very well in a youtube video, taking Call of Cthulhu as an example. It’s an especially good example as First Edition Cthulhu and Seventh Edition (John uses 6th but it was the latest edition at the time) bookend most of the history of gaming. While 1st edition is a nice boxed set, and a lot cheaper (even if you adjust for current values) it doesn’t even have a third of the page count of seventh. The two books in first edition add up to 128 pages; where seventh is a massive 488 pages, with far more illustrations and art throughout.

I’d offer that even the most expensive games offer more value for money than most other hobbies. A core book or box might set you back a chunk of cash, but given you can role play until doomsday with it, that’s still not a bad price. If you find the game you want to play is too expensive, get together with your group and buy it together. Even Invisible Sun isn’t that bad divided by 5 or 6. Failing that, given the variety of games out available, there is always a cheaper option. Can’t afford Invisible Sun? Take a look at Amber, Lords of Gossamer and Shadow, Itras By or Nobilis, to name but a few. Better yet, if you can afford to buy expensive games, run them for friends who can’t afford them and enjoy them together. Even the cheapest game isn’t much use without a gaming group.

Finally, when it comes to price, give games creators a break. Let them try new things, even if they come out expensive. Remember that few, if any, companies are trying to cheat you or bleed you for cash. In fact, most are doing the opposite and cutting their profit margins down considerably to offer an affordable game. In this way the industry develops and learns, and even the most expensive games end up in the second hand bin eventually.

Andrew Peregrine

Andrew Peregrine

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
On the idea that RPGs are super cheap per hour, they sure are. However, that $0.03 hour costs still requires me to fork out something like $100 upfront.

In this case Invisible Sun might be a really, really awesome product. However, $250 is still pretty substantial outlay, and I don't get to pay that off over a 100 hours, I have to pay it all now.

Retreater

Legend
I just dropped $180 on the new Savage Worlds Adventurer's Edition Boxed Set and core rules (including shipping). I love it, but if anything, it's probably more frivolous than Invisible Sun. That includes one hardcover book, GM screen, and a few decks of cards, tokens, dice, and other accoutrements that might add to the game, but certainly don't add "meaty" content - such as supplements, adventures, etc. I'll be doing the same with the new Savage Rifts set coming out later this year.
I guess one of the main differences is that there is a lower entry available to both sets when compared to Invisible Sun. (I can buy just the rulebooks for $40ish or PDFs even cheaper.) I don't own the set, so I wonder what play value a hand statue adds to the game? Also, it's not an established property. Even though I've made it clear my views on Numenera, I could understand the release of a premium boxed set of that game. Invisible Sun seems to ask us to purchase it for no more than Monte Cook's name. [Granted, I bought Ptolus back in the day - which killed me ever wanting to run a city campaign again. Haha.]

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
RPG's are also an art form, so that beg's the question: "what price art?" Some art hangs in museums, and is of inestimable value, others, forgotten. Which also leads to the fact that art to one person, is trash to another. I know walking through the vendor's pavillion at GenCon, I have seen really beautiful books, but with horrible writing, typos, while the layout and pictures were excellent. How much is that worth? Then I have seen work that is little more than a folio, no art or layout, but the writing is brilliant, so what is it's value?

Hussar

Legend
I play Warhammer. I laugh at your concept of "expensive."

ROTF. Yeah, I have to admit, reading through the thread, I had exactly the same thought. 200 bucks? That won't even buy you a single army of 40k miniatures.

Or try getting into Attack Wing sometime.

I know I balked for a long time paying for the Ultimate License for Fantasy Grounds. But, again, considering the hours played, I can't really complain. It works out to under a dollar an hour.

Alphastream

Adventurer
Though that will drive down sales. Will the increased pricing make up is the question. While I'm calling out the cheapness in gamers I know I do have a limit on what I'll spend on a book. And 250 is far above it.

There are all kinds of industries with premium pricing. Individuals might never consider a premium price. So long as enough do, it's a viable product. Strong industries can support a variety of prices and offerings. We can see that in almost anything. I'm sure all of us at some point saw a movie theater offering food and super comfortable recliners and we laughed. Now it's common (and the price of a ticket is high overall). Industries from sneakers to cars to electronics have premium pricing.

The funny thing is that our hobby has generally lacked that. It's a sign of our hobby being weak. The appearance of premium products suggest that our hobby is improving. I'm glad companies like MCG and Beadle & Grimms are leading the way.

The bigger issue is how myopic many gamers can be. Many see that $250 and can't extrapolate that out. If you buy the set as a group of 5, that's $50 each. Play the game 5 times and it cost everyone $10 per session. Assuming 4hr sessions, you each paid $2.50 an hour to play. It's affordable over time. And Invisible Suns always encouraged purchasing as a group.

Sure, not everyone can afford a high up-front cost. But we have tons of cheap options. Numenera/Cypher is available in a wide range of prices from free to expensive. Most RPGs have free rules and content.

The industry is full of companies where the few employees are part-time, don't pay themselves a salary, don't have health care, don't have a retirement plan, and don't have savings. That needs to change. It has to be okay for companies to find ways to change the current situation. As gamers, we can help by educating those around us and supporting higher prices.

Mortellan

Explorer
I'm old, but I definitely live by a personal code of bigger page count/price tag = less use. Smaller publications get more use and thus get tore up, but that's their function, not to be a high end work of art.

ddaley

Explorer
There are all kinds of industries with premium pricing. Individuals might never consider a premium price. So long as enough do, it's a viable product....

RPGs need enough people to purchase the books in order to have a thriving gaming community. If you charge too much, your audience, and hence community will be smaller. It'll be difficult to support 3rd party publishers... again because the community is smaller.

stargazera5

Explorer
"Role playing games are a luxury market"

This is the fallacy of the entire arguement. RPGs are NOT a luxury market, they are a mass market commodity in direct competition for buyer's $$ with novels, movies, computer games and other entertainment. The complaints about RPG costs are usually because the complainer is comparing against what they may be paying for other forms of durable entertainment such as a book. And yes, book page counts/$, video game complexity, and movie special effects have all been forced to raise just as the columnist points out that production values have been forced to increase. This isn't unreasonable, it's normal market forces in action. I've seen articles and arguments for years that RPGs are "cheap", but in reality most of those arguments amount to the person putting forth the argument decrying that the pricing power is in the hands of the consumer.

Personally I won't pay more than $20 for a PDF, and even above $10, I'm more likely to put the product on a wish list and wait for a sale. More and more of my gaming budget is going to Bundle of Holding and Humble Bundle because they provide an amazing value, which is to the creator's benefit as I wouldn't have bought otherwise.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads