• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How fast can a miner dig out a 5' square of stone?

Jack Simth

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:
, but the Druid just picked up WildShape and will bypass this issue in Badger form with no problem.
Not necessarily. Read through the Dire Badger's description closely; the SRD version specifies that it can't get through "solid rock", so tunneling through a granite cliffside by that means is out.

In my case there is a small hole leading through the granite face, through which a badger can fit :( The problem isn't making the hole, its getting inside to open the door! I have yet to encounter a circumstance where the party would be actually willing to dig through a solid rock wall as opposed to other ways around.

Agreed that untrained labor should assist a professional when it comes to tunnelings that are expected to stay a tunnel.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Primitive Screwhead said:
I have yet to encounter a circumstance where the party would be actually willing to dig through a solid rock wall as opposed to other ways around.

The presence of an adamantine weapon in the party could change that awfully quickly :)

But count yourself lucky. I played in a group where a couple of PCs decided to avoid the door ("It's probably trapped!"), and instead batter down the stacked-rubble fortification filling the breach in the wall beside the door. By shoulder-charging it repeatedly.

Eventually, they rolled sufficiently well on a Strength check to burst through the pile... to find themselves prone inside the wall, surrounded by hobgoblins with crossbows.

Running into a wall over and over again isn't the sneakiest way to break into a building...

-Hyp.

Dryfus

First Post
have a 3rd level druid cast soften earth and stone on it. then it become like clay and would be much easier to dig. a 10ft square area with a depth ofup to 1-4 ft depending on the hardness of the earth or stone your trying to dig into. DM's discretion.

Remove ads