• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How fast should magical power return to a caster?

How fast should magical power return to a caster?

• Magic power refreshes completely once every 10 minutes

Votes: 0 0.0%

frankthedm

First Post
D&D runs under the assumption that the casters get a 1/day power refreshment, though that does bring up many issues like spell dumping and to few or too many encounters per day. What do you think would work best to limit casting from dominating while avoiding the sleepy spell slinger syndrome? Regards of how the limit works what do you think is a good time frome for in game pacing, and game balance. As an obvious thing, the shorter the time needed to recharge, the weaker the magical effects would be.

In a perfect game, IMO, the spellcasters should not be limited, but spellcasting should be taxing, and big spells when you're tired should become dangerous to cast for the caster's health.

I'm sure there are already some systems that play it that way and I just don't know about them, though.

AR

kanithardm

First Post
Altamont Ravenard said:
In a perfect game, IMO, the spellcasters should not be limited, but spellcasting should be taxing, and big spells when you're tired should become dangerous to cast for the caster's health.

I'm sure there are already some systems that play it that way and I just don't know about them, though.

AR

Well I wish i knew what system that was. :p

tjoneslo

First Post
I find it interesting that none of the options request a longer referesh than one day. I've played systems where it can take as long as a month to recover most or all of the magical power. They seemed to work fine, and forced some tactical changes.

ThirdWizard

First Post
I'm in favor of "per encounter" so I don't have to keep close track of time but still don't have to worry about classes being balanced toward an encounters per day paradigm.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I would say 'over the course of the day', which is how most other games do it - you get back points, or whatever, every so X of rest or downtime. The idea is to keep the wizard or cleric viable over the entire course of the adventure, to keep them from needing to hoarde spells and to keep them from blowing them all at once and being useless throughout the rest of the adventure.

HeinorNY

First Post
What if the caster regained his spells after resting for an hour, or two, as many times a day he wishes, how much would this break the game?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Magic should return whenever you put another quarter into the machine.

"Nifft needs food, badly!"

-- N, ordering delivery

HeinorNY

First Post
Nifft said:
Magic should return whenever you put another quarter into the machine.

\"Nifft needs food, badly!\"

-- N, ordering delivery

What about slot (mana) potions? Since the fighter can drink some healing potions to keep going, there should be some potion to let spellcasters keep going, although I believe they already had this idea and if it\'s not implemented, that\'s because it sucks for some reason... :)

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Altamont Ravenard said:

AR
In shadowrun casting spells stressed the body and does damage to the caster (though it can be resisted easily if it's a weak spell, it's very difficult to continually resist damage from casting powerful spells)

Sorry that was a little off topic. On topic I think that the current systems works fine.

Last edited:

Remove ads